Tiny-Tach

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Old Bill, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    This afternoon I received the Tiny Tach Model 2C that I had ordered a week or so ago.

It only took me about 30-minutes to install. I mounted it on the tiller of my Nissan motor, using the photos and information that BOC member dougc sent me.

Prior to installing it, I did test it by attaching the wires to one of the two cylinders of my riding lawn mower's engine. Since I ordered the single cylinder model 2C, the idle speed was reading 1860 rpm. Which, may or may not be a good reading??:tounge_out:

Here are some photos showing the Tiny Tach mounted on the tiller, and the two wires installed. White is the ground and red attached to the spark plug wire.

I plan on running the motor in the next day or two in a water tank, and I'll see how well the Tiny Tach works for real!:big_smile:

Later,

Attached Files:

2. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm guessing your mower is firing twice like an old Harley. One cylinder on the compression and one on the exhaust stroke. Negates the need for a distributor. So cut the reading in half and that sounds right.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Bill,
    I have had a Tiny Tach on our Golf Cart for a couple of years now and it has done a good job. Even stayed out in the weather a lot this winter and no issues. Rode the cart this evening and the tach worked like a champ. Very simple to install and the price wasn't bad either.:big_smile:

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Good job Bill! I know mine was invaluable when trying to find the correct prop for my motor.

5. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Dave, I tested the Tiny Tach this afternoon, with my motor in a tank of water. The readings were all over the place!:crazy:

With my single cylinder motor barely running...a very slow idle...the Tiny Tach was reading 1320-1360.

With the motor running about 1/2 open, the reading would bounce from 3400 to 4600 and then back to 3400!

I tried two, three and four wraps of the red wire around the spark plug cable, and it didn't seem to make any difference.

How does your Tiny Tach read when your golf cart is idle? And does the readings bounce all over the place?

Do you have any suggestions what I might try before I return the Tiny Tach!

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Bill,
    My golf cart doesn't idle it starts when you give it gas. The tach reads pretty smoothly and accurate from what other cart owners tell me. Have you call the company yet to see what they say? I think I did four wraps with my red wire. Not sure if there would be any reason it would not work correctly with any single cylinder motor.:confused2: I would start with a phone call and go from that.

7. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Big Dav, I've sent them an email, but, it might be better to also call them Monday.

It's hard to think what could be wrong since there is only two wires to attach! All I can think is the unit is defective, or the wrong model was sent.

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Bill,
    I am thinking the same way. Kinda hard to mess up the install.:smile2: Ground and the red wire if memory serves me. Where did you ground the tach at? I am not sure how many (if more than one) models the offer but that may also be the issue.

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    David, I used a bolt on the cylinder head (where other wires were grounded) to ground the white wire. The red wire I attached to the spark plug cable as shown in this photo.

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Tinytach%20Nissan 1.JPG

Maybe I should find another place to ground the white wire?

I believe they offer 7 different models.

I'm going to have to start the motor tomorrow in any event since I forgot to run the gas out of the carb. and it may be a week or so before I can use the boat.

10. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Well, no joy on the home front! I called Tiny Tach and talked to a very helpful man named Steve. He said that I had received the right model Tiny Tach, and suggested that I cut the exposed end of red wire by one half. Then try wrapping the red wire closest to the black cable one time around the spark plug's wire.

I did all this, and even removed the white wire and cleaned the post to ensure that the white wire was making a good ground. But, the Tiny Tach's readings were still not accurate! It was reading 1200 RPM at a ver

11. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Whoops! I hit the wrong key!

Anyway, the idle reading was 1200 with the motor barely turning over, and the nid range speed 3400 to 4600 with RPM swings of 1000 RPMs.

I have given up and have asked for my money back. I don't have the time nor the desire to drag my boat out it's storage, fill up a water tank and test and test the Tiny Tach...hoping that is starts working properly! I also tried two, three and four wraps of the red wire with no improvement.

I'll let you know the outcome.

12. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I received a nice email from the Tiny Tach Company assuring me that if I want to return the Tiny Tach for a refund, there would be no problem.:smile2:

I have decided that prior to returning the unit, I will try one of the suggestions that was made, in the hope that it will correct the incorrect RPM readings.

It appears that the red wire of the Tiny Tach is actually an antenna that picks up the firing order of the cylinder. The more times the red wire is wrapped around the spark plug wire the stronger the signal sent to the Tiny Tach. Too long a length of red wire can cause the incorrect RPM readings of the Tiny Tach.

So there are many things that can effect the readings...the number of wraps of the red wire and the lenght of the red wire.

Well, that's the way I understand it!:eek:oooh:

13. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Bill
    I recall something along those lines. I just did what the golf cart parts supplier told me to do with mine and it worked and gave the readings he told me to look for. Hopefully you can get it straightened out or your money back.

Thanks
    David

14. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks David,

The Tiny Tach people seem very nice and helpful, so I'm sure it will all work out.

I do like the size of the Tiny Tach...and I hate to have to send it back since I have mounted it on my motor's tiller arm with screws!

The hour reading seem to be accurate. The reading is showing 18 minutes which is about what it should read.

15. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Well, I hate to say it, but my Tiny Tach is packaged and on it's way via UPS to the Tiny Tach Company.

I tried every way possible to get my Tiny Tach to give an accurate low speed reading, but, nothing worked. The lowest RPM reading was alway in the 1200s with the motor barely running.

Since the idle readings did not truely reflecting the actual motor RPM, I was afraid the wide open readings might also be inaccurate. I was planning changing the pitch of my propeller and didn't want to exceed 6000 RPM.

The Tiny Tach I received may have been defective, or it is also possible that my Nissan motor was somehow sending out stray signals that were affecting the Tiny Tach's RPM readings.

The Tiny Tach people were very helpful! They have issued a full refund against my credit card. A person can't ask for anything more than that!

Therefore, I rank the Tiny Tach Company a great company to do business with!

16. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    You could've gotten the wrong model. I just ordered one off of Cabelas (the only one, there were no options :embarassed:) So I hope it works on the 20 4-stroke. Will post.

17. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Most likely it will work just fine! And, if not...Cabelas has a good return policy!:big_smile:

There must be thousands of Tiny Tachs out there working with out any problems.

18. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Bill, was your Nissan a 2-cylinder? I just tried the Tiny Tach on my 2-cylinder, 4-stroke 20hp Tohatsu. Same deal. 4,200 RPMs at idle speed. I had the 2C model. Maybe I needed the 1C model? It could have been picking up signals from both spark wires, but I tried to keep it separate from the other. Idk, but I think I can live without a tach. Really wanted one for break-in, and now that break-in is almost done, it doesn't even really matter anymore, except for pitching a new prop.

I'm going to do a little research then send it back to Cabelas. They do have a great return policy, though! :big_smile:

19. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Stu, my Nissan is a single cylinder 4-stroke 6 HP motor.

Someone on another forum told me that he had got his Tiny Tach low idle readings to be somewhat accurate by wraping the red wire around the rubber cap that encloses the spark plug. Not the spark plug wire or cable, but the end cap. His motor was a twin cylinder and he has the 2C.

I also had the 2 C model, which accordance to the Tiny Tach people is the right model for the 4-stroke Nissan ignition system.

It wouldn't hurt to contact the Tiny Tach people, but be aware that it takes them several days before they answer emails. And they don't seem to have a toll-free phone number.

I hate to say it, but I believe they must have made some defective units.