Tiny baits, big fish.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by gadzooks, Dec 12, 2006.

1. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A friend of mine just came back from fishing the Brazos River near Marlin, Tx. That river is low from a long drought and not very big. The deepest water is about 5 feet. Saturday night, he baited one of his light weight rigs with a river minnow he seined up. The minnow was about 3/4" long and not more than 1/8" wide. The result was a 30 minute fight on a cheap rod and inexpensive spinning reel and a 31+ lb flathead. I've fished that section of river with him before and we've caught 9-11 lb blues on those small minnows, usually threaded on the hook like a worm and mashed. But was surprised that a really big Flathead would hit a tiny minnow. Is that something that is all usual? I fish mainly for channels and blues.

BTW, there's a picture of the flathead in the Texas Talk forum.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have caught 30 and 40 lb flats on little peices of live and cut bait..You can catch big fish on little bait..They dont discriminate when they are hungry..LOL...Thanks for sharing.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I think big fish will eat an easy meal anytime they can while hunting for a bigger meal.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    These river minnows have proven to be especially effective. It goes to the theory of feed 'em what they've been eating.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Gadzooks, two of the three biggest flatheads I have caught were caught on small shad(less than five inches). One was 28 pounds the other was 32. I have also caught some good size blues on small pieces of cut bait. I don't think the size of the bait is of much importance. Location and type of bait are keys to catching good fish. Like you said the fish are feeding on what is natural to them. That is why I don't use livers, cause I have yet to see chickens swimming the river. Vern

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Vl I have use chicken livers with good sucess, but anyway I think u can catch big catfish on little bait.

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    It happens. They will eat minnows well if given the opportunity.

8. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    I don't know about flatties, but wels often fall to tiny bleak (3 inches or so silver fish) fished near the surface. We sometimes attach three or four onto the hook using something like a carp angler's hair rig through the tail root. An 8/0 hook tends to restrict the natural movement of a one ounce bait! The walleye fishers often hook wels and get bust up using bleak. A German guy I know flicks cloud-bait into the water which brings up the bleak (lauben I think they call 'em) by the thousand and he fishes his little cluster of baits in the thick of the shoal.

It depends on the mood of the fish; some days it's big baits and sometimes it's small. If I were forced to choose I must admit I would go supersize rather than the weightwatchers option!

9. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    My 2 biggest channels were caught on fresh water clams no bigger than my thumb nail, a 30 that I dont have apic of and that 22 you see on my profile right in front of you.

10. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    Back in August I caught a 16lb flatty on a 1/16 Roadrunner bounced off the bottom in Lake Livingston. What a fight!
    Also, about 2 years ago, right outside of Ruston,LA, I was fishing a small creek for bream-usng tiny red worms dug up from the yard. Well, I caught a minnow about 2 inches long-I was using tiny hooks-and I decided to rig him up live-I was using a cane pole (hadn't planned to fish at all) and didn't have anymore hooks or tackle with me.There was a big cypress tree in the water close to the bank and I could tell that the water some kinda way went under it so I decided to stick the minnow in there. Whoa! Got my hook straightened out by something the 1st time-caught another minnow & tried it again. This time I got my line broke. Whatever it was (I never saw anything) rushed outta that tree & headed upstream, pulling extremely hard.I was told it coulda been a big cat or a snapping turtle.I haven't been back yet.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Paul, what creek and where were you fishing near Ruston? My son goes to Tech and I have the dubious pleasure of 500 mile one day trips to retrieve him and take him back to school. I've been thinking about trying to make them two day trips to do some fishing in parts of E. Texas because they are a bit too far and also the lakes around NW Louisiana.

12. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Jerry,There are times of the year when i do real good on smaller bait and caught some nice flatheads on the ohio river seems that when ther really picky they go after the smaller bait.There are guys every year down here that catch big flattys in the spring when fishing for walleyes with minnows.

13. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Ive caught a 19lb flathead on a tiny 2inch mister twister. Prolly the most memorable fight Ive ever had on ultralight tackle. So my answer is YES the big boys will bite little bait.

Wheelmobile07

14. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    I agree wheelmobile! Big fish will eat small baits, but there is a lot of dicussion as to whether big lures or small lures are better for the big fish. I've never had a really big cat on any lure, so I can't comment! I think most people go for the big lures and, because we mostly let them all swim away, they maybe get suspicious of a big lure. I've attached a photo of a guy (sure his name was Uli Beyer) who took this big-headed brute on a 4 inch plastic shad and 35lb spiderwire. He didn't weight it (!!!!) cos he was too tired to get his heavy scales after fighting it in fast water for a few hours (lazy or what...) He guessed it was around 200 pounds and that looks about right to me. Looking at his smile, the weight probably doesn't really matter anyway. What a catch - wish I could do the same.

:still_dreaming:

15. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Ooops!! Forgot to add the photo...

It's been a long day!

:embarassed:

Attached Files:

16. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I will agree that a big fish will bite a small bait. I've caught a 18lb flathead on a 2" dead shad on a rod and reel and a 40lb flathead on a 3" shad on a trotline. But If I'm fishing for big flathead I don't go down the river with a bucket of worms and a few minnows. I use 9/0 hooks and the biggest perch and carp and mud cat I can catch. A 2 lb bait will work just fine! Though a hand size green ear sun fish is my favorite. I just wanted to say that I know they will hit a small bait but they will hit a huge bait too!! I had a flathead swallow a 18 lb flathead on my line and we pulled the 18lb out of the big ones mouth but we did land the 18lb one and you should have seen the body and tail of it. That made me really rethink what was too big to be a bait. If the 18lb fish had not got the hook down in his throat we would have landed the big one. It was never hooked, it was just stuck on the smaller fish. Anyway your right! But does small bait = big fish? I don't think that's a rule.