tinker toy

Discussion in 'Boating' started by BIG_D, Dec 8, 2008.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well i drug the old girl home sat it needs a lot of work but i love it talk about roomy the out side of the boat is in very good shape the paint is even good i got a feeling i will be looking for a motor its a 63 johnson i might get it going time will tell but the hull was the mane thing i was after at this time just some thing about the older boats that i like it will make a good stabil river boat nice and wide i will post pics hear as it progresses

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    going to be interesting to see how things progress with your boat bet it will turn out great nothing like doing it yourself

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Looking forward to viewing the before and after pics of this boat. Keep us posted.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well i ben doing a little home work on the old motor seems thay do still make all the parts for it so if it needs it i can rebuild i will do a compreshion test befor i do anything to it a shop book for that sucker is outragus $80 bucks i will shop around a bit more for a book that seems high but a must have for me to work on the motor that cheaper than a macanic lol :cool2: i did order a few books from library on motors to maybe get a feel for what im getting into weather ever gives me a desent day i will take some pics of it so i can start posting from start to finish its a mess now it can only get better i have rounded up two seats just puting 3 in it 3rd seat will be moveabl i am going to mount high back car bucket seats in it you may be thinking thats weard but i have bad back and i want this sucker comfy i will make boxes for seats to sit on and swivel with storrige under the seats lots of plans i will tell more about my plans a little later :cool2:

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like a good project. looking forward to the pictures

7. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Try checking Iboats.com for the book I got one for a 55 evinrude for $27. Hope this will help to save you money too.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dallis rember when building weight and distribution will effect your performance..even distribution is a must for best performance.....I learned alot of this thru trial & error my little jon only has a 15 hp but it carries us well with thousands of pounds of gear:wink:I know ya know how to post & ask hit the librarey here too buddy there are alot of way cool smart people on here & they tend to want to help then ya throw the boat facter in.:wink:..yeah!
    I bought my first boat it had a old 30hp on it and I found the parts were hard to get & I take kids out so after looking into it all I decided to go buy me another motor that was newer and parts more readiley availiable and they hurt when yer picking them up...man do they hurt so good(LOL)I have a old 18hp I bought it runs but needs some attention gonna use her fer a back up.....dont rule that ole horse out though I tell ya them ole dogs cost lill more to run but if you get into there pants and know em ya can have a jewel:wink:
    Keep us posted and if ya need anything I will be glad to share all my mistakes and help you make couple so I can learn some more(LOL) ya have a good one bro:roll_eyes:

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    good advice brother Kenny the boat already has a plate for a extra motor and i was kinda thinking i might just put a small one on just incase the big one lets me down iv done the padling thing befor no funn at all dont think a padl will do much good on the sippi anyway lol im not set on a rebuild of the motor yet im still waying the proes and cons Kenny you are right about the library if it wasent for that i dont know if i would have ben brave and took this on but thats kinda what inspired me to get this boat im kinda thinking whean we move and i have a garage im thinking about restorring old boats im not going to get boats thats in as bad shap as this one for that but im thinking of restorring small boats and rigging theam as cat boats and selling for small profit just as a hobbie i love tinkerring on this kinda thing so this is right up my ally
    well im out for now keep thoes tips coming and thanks for the tip on iboats for a book Kenny you know i will be depending on your advice from time to time you are like me you like this old stuff to tinker on Mac takes us cyber fishing we will do cyber boat work lol now thats one way to tinker and not get your hands dirty lol:wink:

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If that motor is in good shape an you just need a carb overhaul or ciols I think I might give her hell but then gain yer in the same boat as me you have kids and there saftey relies on the reliabiliey of yer (heart) Motor so you have a tough call there....that is the one that got me cause that ole 30 was brute...I ended up sellng it for 125.00-I give 500 for my first boat and still ended up with 1500 in it ...this one the tag is ugly on this one ....I couldnt sell it fer what I have in it and break even but....I built it and know it inside out....new floor carpet...trailer oeraul you name it its been redone I have a new ride that looks like hell(LOL) she starts actin funny I am on it...Its never been floated or towed in yet ....although there has been couple close calls(LOL) Hey I am on the water alot...also something to keep in the back of your mind is your yearly cost of maitence...I am very meticioulus bout checking over everything good befor I go out it takes ten minutes and I dont have to worry bout lights not working or????anchor rope breaking caue its frayed.....etc. it pays in the long run cause murphey follows me everywhere(LOL)
    I didnt ask but is this your first boat????? if so I may suggest finding someone who owns one and giving you a nice olng course ...it helps out alot.....If you dont know man it sucks...I will be glad to shoot the breeze ith ya on it all .....you got yer work cut out for ya and its gonna get intence when you start seeing th progress.I am starting my annual fishing maitence day after X-mass and that includes greasing reels the 100:wink:good luck and be seein ya on the water:wink:

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    nope not my first boat my 3rd and i agree im not wanting to have to work on it every time i go fishing thats out when i go to fish thats what i want to do if i see this motor is a trouble maker i will trash it and get a newer one the sippi is no place for boat trouble

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    AMEN BRO. and since it isnt yer first rodeo yer already ahead of it all:roll_eyes:

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i climed in the boat today for the first time sins iv had it not ben weather for working on a boat but im geting started a little now cleaned all the junk out of it today floor will all need replaced but that dident supprize me will have to learn glass never did it will go take some pics befor i start ripping so you guys can see things happen i know how you all are about pics im the same way :wink:

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    PICS

Attached Files:

15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    did a little more demo on the boat today took the old motor off of the old girl guess my next move will be to start on the floor demo thats the part i dread most i get that done it will be on to the things a little more engoyable let the reel work begin:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

16. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    looks like a great project, and this way you get to make everything to your style and specifications. I am anxious to see how she turns out and wish you the best of luck with it.