Tims Ford Lake

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Shrimp Man, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I us to live in Fayetteville and as a teenager I spent A lot of time on Tim's Ford but mostly teen parties. I know it has a large bass population. But is there any catfish in there?

2. shifty

shifty New Member

State:
    tennessee
    tims ford is usually where i fish.last year me and my cousin caught about a 15 lbs flathead nad some little channels.

3. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    I haven't made it down to Tim's yet, but plan on it soon. I understand both flathead and blue populations exist, but no trophies in either species. Don't know why. I must say that I hesitate just a little about catching any cats to eat out of there since water from woods reservoir poors into it. It's probably fine. I'm just a little paranoid about that stuff. Just north of Tim's is Normandy Lake where I've been catching nice eating size channels. There are no blues or flatheads in there to my knowledge though.

4. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Ryan and Jon,
    I had never heard anything as far as folks catching any cats out of Tim's Ford, I had heard the same story you hear at all lakes about the monster cats hanging around the base of the dam. I still have family in Fayetteville so maybe on my next trip I may drag my boat across the southeast and just see if there are any big cats hanging around Tim's Ford.
    And Gentlemen, Welcome to the greatest family on the web. BOC is made up of a lot of really good and talented people.:big_smile:

5. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Well I cannot speak for what you will catch at Tims Ford but there are no consumtion advisories on the fish http://tennessee.gov/twra/fish/contaminants.html

This link shows where in TN the advisories exist. Although Woods is above Tims Ford I would not be afraid to eat cats from there. TWRA tests samples of fish on a regular basis for contaminants and they are not shy about posting problems.

Cheez

6. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Yeah, I've read the advisory list. Kind of scary considering all the ones listed are the top waters fished for cats in this state. Hopefully foks do mainly catch/release.

I didn't mean to imply that Tim's is poluted. Like I said, I'm just a little paranoid about adjoining bodies of water where one is known to be poluted already. Even if only traces of PCB's (the contaminate in Woods) were slipping through Woods dam and into Tim's, I'd avoid it. If I have the choice, I'll eat fish out of a lake/river that is phycically seperated from known contaminated waters. Neither Percy Priest, Center Hill, or Normandy reservoirs or their tributaries are on the advisory lists, and are all close to Tim's. My personal preference is to opt for one of them when I'm looking for dinner. That said, if you're looking for excellent catch and release fishing, I understand Woods is probably the best lake in middle TN for monster fish of all three cat species. I know I'm definately going to try hitting it at least once this summer.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have eaten fish from Tims ford and haven't had anything bad happen except loss of all my teeth.

I fish Tims quit a bit and it has a good number of eaten size blues but as for larger ones I haven't found them yet. I fish out from devil's step most of the time and up hurricane creek. I was there about three weeks ago and the water was way down so don't destroy a prop like I did.:tonger_out:

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have eaten fish from Tims ford and haven't had anything bad happen except loss of all my teeth.

I fish Tims quit a bit and it has a good number of eaten size blues but as for larger ones I haven't found them yet. I fish out from devil's step most of the time and up hurricane creek. I was there about three weeks ago and the water was way down so don't destroy a prop like I did.:tonger_out:

9. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Better then tearing off your lower unit like I nearly did at Cordell Hull dam the other day. Fortunately it didn't punch a hole in my gear case, but took some big chunks of metal off. Tore my prop up and twisted the shaft a little too :crazy:

10. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    By the way Bubbakat, pm me if you're interested in hookin up some time soon. I'd be up for Tim's or any other lake nearby. Your only about 15 miles from me.

11. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    BubbaKat,
    I tend to agree with you about the pollution, If I understand correctly, A person would have to eat sick fish almost everyday over a long period of time for it to affect an adult. Most advisories I have seen is targeted for children and expecting mothers.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would say you are right eddie

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Why sure Jon. I am thinking about an all nighter over at nickajack next weekend if the weather and other things permit.

14. Wade Patton

Wade Patton New Member

State:
    Woodbury, TN
    I posted my phone number on another thread. Call me. I've boated plenty of Flatties on Normandy and some Blues and caught a few channels while bait fishing.

15. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Hey. Yeah I've already been corrected by a fisheries biologist in the area. He says in a few surveys they actually caught more blues then channels in there. Didn't mention anything about the flatties though.

16. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Jon,
    Welcome to BOC, You will find Lot's of talent in your BOC family.