Timing ??

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by slimetime, Dec 24, 2006.

1. slimetime

slimetime New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I run Two boats, one 1985 50hp evinrude, and one 1978 chrysler 115, my ? is, can I use a regular automotive timing light to check the timing on my outboards? I have a problem with both idleing and figured that would be a good place to start THANKS!

2. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I have no Idea but I wanted to welcome you to the BOC

3. slimetime

slimetime New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Thank you Richard, I'm glad I found this site, seems to be very informative.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Sure you can use an automotive timing light.

That would be the last thing to check when looking for idle problems.Usually an idle problem isn't related to timing, unless you've adjusted it.

A full Sync and Link check would require a timing check.

Got a manual?

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    nine outta ten, poor idle is a carb problem. Dissassemble those puppies one at a time, soak them overnight in carb cleaner, blow them out real good with an air hose, and use q-tips. When those things are really clean, assemble it according to instructions in the carb kits and re-install. It is important that each carb is re-installed in its original position, otherwise, you may mess up the fuel lines and/or linkage. Do each one the same way. Then get out your manuals and do all the checks they list. Once finished, you may need to install a seatbelt just to stay in the boat with the motors running. Well, its not going to improve that much, but a carb cleaning is a good thing to do, and should be done before you start messing with the timing.

Oh, have a happy holiday and fruitfull new year.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    One of the first things to do when any problem arises with an outboard is to do a compression ck. Then do a spark ck. Those plugs need to have a spark that jumps about 7/16 th of an inch with a lighten blue spark.

Lawerence gave some good advice along with Bobpauls to follow. The manuel is a must. An idle problem can come from many causes. Fixing it ain't the problem, finding the cause is.

Along with cleaning the carbs when you have them down run you a small dia wire thru all the little holes because even the smallest piece of trash can cause the problem. You see those aren't really carbs there are fuel metering devices and with any obstruction it cause them to fail in delevering the right amount of fuel and thus the problem starts.
    On an idle miss I would do a complete fuel supply ck from tank to carbs and then a sink and link. If those throttle plates don't close all the way at idle then it cause rough running.

7. slimetime

slimetime New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks guys, I have moved some of the linkages on the chrysler that I think adjust the timing advance. When you open the throttle it also advances the timing. so I just want to make sure the timing is right before messing with something else like carbs, but thats the next thing I'll try and yes I do have a manual so thanks again for the advice :smile2: