timing is not right

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by catfishermanstiles, Jan 26, 2006.

1. catfishermanstiles

catfishermanstiles New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    wondering if anybody might know the easiest way how to set timing on old evenrude 4hp about a 75-80 model bought said condenser might have came loose or magnito wondering gap most of mine at 20 but haven't messed with this yet has spark but doesen't even fire when putting fuel in cylinders any insite on what to do would be appricated thanks marshall

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Marshall,

Moved you post here so Bob would see it, I am sure he can steer you the right way.

Paul

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Marshall post us a model number so we will know what motor we are working on here.

4. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    You said it has spark?If it does before you do anything else,new plug and starting fluid (no gas).Alot of the old engines need that to get running the first time.Let us know.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I ain't trying to start no fuss here but think about the starting fluied before you use it.
    It will wash oil off of the bearings and will make it come apart.

6. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    You are right bubba,I suggested it just to get it started.After it starts on it should run on premix;)

7. catfishermanstiles

catfishermanstiles New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Know A Little About Engines But Been A While Needing To Know Gap On Engine Don;t Have Book Think Condenser Sliped Or Points Need Adjusting To Right Gap At Right Time Understand Starting Fluid Thery 2 Cycle Should Use Mix Or If Useing Fluid Just A Little Burns Quick Ttried Putting Gas In Cylinders But Nothing Not Firing At Right Time Or Something Thanks For Replies All Feed Back Will Help Thanks Again Good Luck Good Fishing
    Marshall

8. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    You might want to pull the flywheel and check that the key has not sheared. It could still have spark, but not at the right time. While the flywheel is off, check the coil if it is the type that is mounted under the flywheel. Any cracking in the epoxy coating or bulging of the case means it's probably toast.