Timing for big channel catfish! Better to catfish early or late?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by valentine, Jul 21, 2006.

1. valentine

valentine New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Is it better to hang out after dark, or get up and head out early morning to catch larger cats on the move? I have been staying out late and not having much luck. I was wondering if I should wait and go out around 4:30 or 5:00 in the morning and hang out a bit?

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I catch more channels at night that any other time.

Were not all the far away but every body of water is different.

Maybe try switching up baits or spots.

Good luck on the water.

3. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Like Josh said, each body of water is different. You might want to experiment, trying different times and conditions. I've started keeping notes on each trip. After a while I go back and review some of my sucessful trips. You would be surprised what details you remember vs. what happened a year ago. I used to try certain baits or times because I always had, but after keeping notes I found out some of my "tried and true" methods were less effective.
    Good luck,
    Jeff

4. valentine

valentine New Member

State:
    Colorado

I was just curious about the first part of the night versus the second half. A few of my friends seem to think the larger ones move more between 5:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. I am still fairly new to it so I am very open to any tips. Most of what I have caught has been on stink baits. A friend of mine just got a casting net that we caght shad in the other night. We are going to cut it up and give it a late night test.

Thanks for the tips and such.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would try different times of day and night untill you get the results you are looking for along with different baits and presentations. I have to change rigs for different holes on the same water and one works better in the am and the other is better in the pm.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had my best luck with channels in the late evening, till around 11pm..Then I get a lull in action till around 4am.

7. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I never really believed in the Moon cycles, but I have noticed that the bite seems better at moonrise and moonset. Doesn't always hold true, just sometimes. Change bait and local often.

8. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Thats the same for me. A little after 4 is when i've had some great hits.

9. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I catch most of my BIG ones (18-30 lbs) afetr 10pm when dark.. between 10pm and 4am.. North dakota Red River ..

using cut goldeye or cut sucker..

good luck///

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I catch alot of channells the first hour of dark, then the bite ussually picks up after midnight. I have noticed alot less action with a bright fuul moon.
    Chip

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I never been fishing at 5 or 6 am myself. But i have this saying to remind me of the best luck I personally had 7-11(pm) just like the store. But you can experiment because it might not be the same down your parts.

12. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I always try to go right at dusk, they seem to turn on then and bite for a few hours never had as much luck during the day.

13. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I usually start fishing about 11:30 pm. That could be because I get off work at 11:00.

14. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    When fishing at night for larger channel cats I look for shallower wate. The cats in the river system here really like the water depths of a foot to three feet at night. Hope this helps you out some, good luck.

15. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I find the best bite at dusk to about midnight.
    And like LandsCats said there in the shallows. Cut sucker and chicken liver seems to be on the menu right now.

16. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    my best results have been real early morning(5-8) and just as the sun is going down. but ive caught cats in the middle of the day too.

17. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I'm not a morning person.. I think my channel cats in my area are night owls..we both like late night snackin..:smile2:

18. terrycook3

terrycook3 New Member

State:
    minnsota
    hi-its been my expierence that weather conditions often dicate when big cats are active-ive caught a great many large channels while fishing on overcast days-a breeze out of the south or west makes even better-if youre fishing in a lake the windswept shorelines are where youll find some fish-slip bobbers are effective during these conditions-keep adjusting your depth until you find the right depth-remember catfish are suspended at least half the time-and if you want the big ones feed them cut bait-i hope this helps you-gl !

19. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    Channel Cat will feed when food is around. day or night you have to find the right conditions that will cause the fish to hang around the same area that you are fishing. as for night fishing, I am a creature of habit. wake up at 2:00am most every day. If I feel well enough I go fishing, sometimes I get lucky and other times I just get to be out fishing.

20. Boedonvito

Boedonvito New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    A full moon seems to be the ticket where I fish with fish movement starting around 8:30 only stayed out past 1am once the bite didnt seem to be any different.