Times of the year ???

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Manny, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    With the Meramec not producing now with the water low, I know i need to be on the mississippi.

Question is, Is their certain times when it would be SAFER for me to be on it with my 16 foot 20hp jon boat ?

And if so what do i need to look for ?
    Water lower than normal ?
    Maybe even certain times of day ?

I want to get out their, but i want to be as safe as i can first.

I have fished at the mouth of the Meramec where it dumps in to the Mississippi with no results.

Also where might be the closest place to fish North or south from there?

Thanks, Manny

2. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Manny I have a buddy that fishes with a 25 hp and a 16 ft boat out there. It personally makes me a little nervous. Not the size of the boat but the size of the motor. That current is pretty stout. If you are he!! bent on getting out there I would try straight across from the meremac. There are some nice dikes over there and a few anchored barges with flats and deeper water all in one small area. The current is also not as bad over there because it is an inside bend. I have caught quite a few nice fish right over there. Good luck and keep us posted.

3. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Are you saying i might need to get a run at it ? LOL:roll_eyes:

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    First off, Manny, I am so glad to see you recognizing the safety aspect. Not nearly enough do.
    What you have by way of boat & motor is ok, but I wouldn't recommend it just yet. First, I would ride with other folks who know the river already and you might pick up a few pointers on river safety. Also, by being out with them, you will get a feel for riding in the big river current. This way, you can get experience on the river, while with somebody who should be able to steer clear of trouble. After you've been out a couple of times, you'll know when you are ready to try it yourself.
    I have spent 10 years on the river at night, mostly alone. I am scared $h!tle$$ of it! If I ever am not, I will never go out there again. It pays to be scared of the Mississippi River. She has a way of sneaking up on ya and when she bites, she bites hard!!!

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Oh, by the way, with the Meramec low, the fish aren't biting, huh? Is that any different than when it's not low? LOL

6. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Tom that is some really good advice. I am still in awe of that river every time I am out there. There are situations that pop up that can take your life at any time. I remember my first trip out of the Meremac and just sitting at the confluence and thinking.....we are going out there?????:smile2:

7. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    First time I got to that point (where the Meramec dumps into the Mississippi) I looked at it and turned around and went back to fishing on the Meramec and I still won't go out there alone or at night with someone else that's not familiar with a boat and being on a big river.

8. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Ya you got me Kutter:roll_eyes:

I know its tough to get a real bite on the Meramec:eek:oooh:

Ok people if anyone is willing to take out a Green Horn Ill gladly pay for the gass.

Just be willing for me to pick your brain all night.

ANY TAKERS ??????

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Dang, ya had me ready to volunteer til I read that bold type above. Reckon that disqualifies me. Besides, I question the sanity of anyone who would even want to pick my brain.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck getting out there on the river!

11. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I question the sanity of anyone that volunteers to get in your boat....:wink:

Just kidding Tom, you know I'd ride with you again in a heart beat....then again riding with you does get the heart beating pretty fast when you go air born over the barge wakes. :smile2:

12. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I normally fish the mouht of the Mermac into the Mississippi.I have a modified vee,18ft.with a 40H.P.Mercury.Since I turned it into a jet,it's rated at around 25H.P.I still freak out when I look at my sonar,and realise I'm in water 50ft. deep.So I cross quickly,and fish in those areas Ryan talked about.Or, I head to Imperial,staying near bank.Thats South,by the way.I may not catch giants,but I feel safe,and still hang into fish up to 30 or 40 pounds.Just look for rocky bays or oxbows.Good luck.

13. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I guess ill have to man up and get out their, i think ill try to run south first and stay close enough to the edge in case i need to jump!:confused2:

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    All the responses have been great and valid Manny. Kutter gave you some sound advice about going out with an experienced "river runner". I have been fishing the big rivers now 6 years, 4 with my own boat and like Kutter stated, sometimes being on the river at night really hightens the "pucker" factor! Especially those nights when the moon is non-existant. On that stretch of the river it gets awefully dark out there.

If you go out there on your own, at least go out during the daylight hours. Make sure you can get back to the ramp when the sun is still up. Running around in a boat in unfamiliar waters is just stacking the odds of an accident against you.

15. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Or like my first time out on the Mississippi I went out with a fellow BOCer to show me the ropes of the big river and when we decided to head back there was no moon and a nice fog had moved in across the river as well. I definatly learned the value of GPS that night since we wouldn't of been able to find the ramp at all if we didn't have a path to follow on the screen....It was like playing a video game...lol

16. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Was planning on running south in the morning during day just to get the feel no fishing involved.

But reading some of the replys gets my stomach turning.

Being a little scared is probably good in order to concentrate on safty.
    But i need to go out with confidence to.

The offer is still there ,
    Ill pay for the gas if someone can teach me a little????

17. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Don't think I can do it this weekend Manny, but I'd be happy to take you out. Not that I know that much, but I'd be happy to show you whatever little I do know. Just gonna have to get a little rain, Ryan said the way the waters dropping that Flamm is gonna be almost unusable to guys like me (I have a Deep V boat) by this weekend.

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Same goes for me too, Manny. I work weekends and am off Wed & Thu..

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I guess some folks just don't appreciate the concept of being given an "adventure".:wink:
    I would like to remind all of you that to this point, Vince is the only one was foo.....the only one who has ridden in my boat on more than one occasion. I dare any of you who have ridden with me to deny the "adventure" claim. There is only one BOC member who I really felt sorry for when he rode with me. I'll spare the details, but a storm and being blown over a wing dike was involved. He, having only one leg for balance, didn't feel quite the same excitement as I did. Wish I could remember his name, he never got back on the BOC after that night. I suspect a pattern here as I can recall 5 now-former BOC members who have gone out in my boat. Or is it 6?:wink:

20. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Now wait a second, that's not fair. I did get us back to the ramp through the middle of an electrical storm with out us getting struck even once, didn't I? Besides, I heard you mumbling during that ride. See? God does answer your prayers. Just because I have brought more folks closer to God than Swaggert ever dreamed of, is no reason to act like it's dangerous out there with me. Not one person has ever died while riding in my boat, not one. Well, technically. I mean, if one were able to be revived, then technically it doesn't count.:wink: