Time to stock up on freezer bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Oct 7, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Now is the time to stock up on shad, gills, suckers etc, for winter fishing and next year early spring.

Bait can be hard to find in march, so I always try to stock up on what I can now, frozen bait aint the best but it is better than no bait.

Plus I have seen bait stores sell small bags of frozen shad for 6 bucks:crazy:

So get em while ya can!

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I try to catch mine fresh, skipjack run best here in march and april.

3. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    You're right again, need to get stocked up for the winter. Frozen is better than none at all..

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I second that as well.:wink:

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was talking about Ohio, we can have harsh winters and it can be hard to find bait.

6. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i can catch shad here year round. as far as skips, i can normally find a few here and there in the winter too. but ill stock up if and when they run this year just in case

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We have a bait store here that last March was trying to get 10 bucks per shad that was frozen...And some people were paying it just because they could not get fresh bait:crazy:

I think if you have a boat and fish bigger rivers in the dead of winter you can still pretty much get bait year round.

But for the shorebound angler who does not have access to hot water dish changes etc, catching your bait now and freezing it can save you alot of money untill the baitfish show up in the shallows next spring.

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i need to stock up myself

9. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    words from the wise, thanks for the reminder.

10. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i would but i ruined my 7ft cast net and dont have the money for a new one lol

11. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    There's a store in NC on High Rock Lake that sells the bags for $2USD , only drawback being I have to drive 50 miles to get there. One thing about it , its well worth it.

12. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio

13. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great point Jack!

I'm gonna be trying for bait tomorrow night and this weekend if need be. I always stock up for winter and spring. Always have people asking me what I am using when I catch fish, and get dumb looks when they say they just use liver and aren't catching any :smile2:

14. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Jack, I can't promise anything, but if you need bait in a bad time of the year, just let me know and I can try to make arrangements to bring my boat and we can go to the big water to better our luck.:big_smile: You don't have to be shorebound!:wink: