Time to start the garden

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by samh, Mar 5, 2007.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Well it's time to start, got the garden all plowed up and ready, was going to start planting early stuff like cabbage and taters last week, but we had a cold snap and it dropped into the 20's the last few nights. But now they're call'n for warm weather and tomarrow I start put'n stuff in the ground.

2. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Got the taters, cabbage, lettuce, onions and radishes planted today. Also got a new implement for the garden , a 5 foot roto tiller that goes behind my little tractor, man, does it do a job on the dirt.

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Sam, good to hear your getting your garden in. Down here in south texas i'll be planting my spring garden this weekend. maters', zuchini, yellow squash, green beans. Gonna have to wait a month or so for the pepper plants and okra. Man am i ready for some fresh fried okra.

Keep us posted on your garden.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    you guys are lucky. the ground is frozen here and where theres shade theres still snow. It'll be awhile before I can start to work on the garden here. even the bays are in ice so I cant go out fishing yet. did I mention tomorrow high is 26*f with a low of 15*f with snow showers?

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on the garden planting.You sure know how to make a man hungry.Our ground is still cold and wet. Maybe in a few weeks.:big_smile:

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Yeppers, it about that time. Was outside working yesterday and saw 4 big flocks of geese heading north. Spring is a comin!!!

7. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    Put potatoes in the ground in mid Jan. frost got them around feb 20th was told they'll come back and they have, about 6" high now. planted peanuts, conk peas, cukes, peppers, peppers, tomatos, corn and green beans Feb 26th, have cabbage and broccoli to pick, but June 1st the heat will get here.
    Saw a bunch of robins come through so spring is headed north.--shu

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Probably gonna be a bit longer here. the ground temps are still in the 30s but with these warm 70*+ days it wont be much more that a few weeks.

9. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Cool weather stuff, like I planted will do good now, but still a month from plant'n mater's and corn, 6 weeks or so for okra. I'm ready for some fresh stuff right out of the garden though.

10. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    checked the garden today tomatos, peppers, cukes and potatoes got burned with frost yesterday, hopefully they will pull through. Weather sure has been up and down since the first of the year.--shu

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    cant wait. been growing my own gardens since i moved out at 18. magine that. an 18 year old that loves to grow a garden. the pumpkin blossoms are the first and the best next to the zuchinni. we need a couple more weeks and some dry weather first. oh and no im 32 now and still growing,lol..

12. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Sam glad your getting it started, you all can start earlier than we can here, it isn't safe to plant anything before mid may, good luck...happy gardening.

13. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    cant wait to get my cayannes and bell peppers and maters going. I recently moved so now I have to find a new spot to grow em.

love them fresh cut cayannes in the catfish breading.:smile2: