time to make the sinkers

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by medford, Dec 11, 2009.

1. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    any tips on where to find lead at? its gettin hard to find tryed some scrap places with no luck but the search continues :wink: my sinkers are gettin pretty slim

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Last time i was by the scrap iron place they wanted 50 cent/pound. My bud that own's the tire place here told me last week he had me another 5 gallon bucket full of wheel weights. I need to stop and get them as soon as i can remember.

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    pm sent medford good luck buddy !!!!

4. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    I just got 53 pounds of ignots (or however u spell it, lol) off e-bay shipped priority for $43 I think it was the guy had a ton of feedback and a mile long article about how the lead was so clean, lol. Which wouldn't matter a whole whole lot unless you were pouring something very detailed and intricate, like lil soildiers or such.

5. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Got an offer for ya! PM sent.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have gotten a ton of lead from tire stores that I've done business with over the years.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Medfor I've got about a hundred pounds of lead pipe here. Needs to be melted down and cleaned yet. A guy gave it to me and wants some sinkers in return. Last I heard he had about another hundred pounds saved up.

8. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    bluejay i can melt it and clean it and his to if ya want let me know what size sinkers ya need and his to if he wants to do that:wink: i got most of the winter to do it i got the equipment to do it and some johnny walker gold to keep me toasty:eek:oooh:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  9. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    If you can't find any you might try the auto salvage yards that let you pull your own parts. There are wheel weights that will go to waste. I did and got about 15 pounds but it took a few hours.

10. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bought a coupla "Do-It" molds yesterday; no roll and barrell...poured up 20lb or so of sinkers in an hour. The temp was in the 40s and could do it outside where the fumes dissapated easily. Couldn't help but notice the "Do-It" molds specifically recomennded NOT to use wheel weight lead, but 'soft' lead. The test was to scratch it with your fingernail; if one can scratch it, it's 'soft'. The reasoning was that the wheel weight lead is harder as it contains a lot of non-lead alloys and require a higher melting temperature.

I realize however it's a good source for inexpensive lead, but may cause problems for some, especially those trying it for the first time.

Just saying...

11. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    sounds like a poaring party is in order:wink:

12. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That sounds like some fun. I'm game.

13. bluejay