Time to let it go

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by richard dunbar, Aug 10, 2008.

1. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I hav'nt spoke with my dad in over 14 yrs and to be honest had'nt thought about him but 2 to 3 times in that 14 yrs. While I was in Iraq he called my mom (not knowing of course I was in Iraq working on my fourth tour) to get info on his grand kids because him and his wife were fixing there wills. He had mentioned that if I wanted I could give him a call just to say hey. Now my father is not a pleasant man. But in the intrest of doing the right thing and at the behest of a nagging woman (My wife) I called to say hi and tell him about the kids. He of course was only tracking having one grand child, my daughter from my 1st wife. So when I informed him he had 5 grand kids he was shocked and pleasantly surprised. We talked on the phone for what seemed like just a couple minutes. But when I hung up the phone my wife asked me if I had a nice 2 hour talk with my dad and of course poked fun at me calling me a woman and such for being on the phone for so long. It was all pretty funny.While on the phone with him I learned he moved from CA to FL and had been there for the past 7 yrs. Well me being in GA he invited me down for a visit and to do some fishing and to just do some mending. I leave early thur morning. Wish me luck!

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Richard that is great you will never regret what you have just done Congrats and good luck

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Good for you Rich enjoy yourself.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Way to go Rich. It seems like all of us have axes to grind somewhere in our lives. Put it behind ya once and for all and move on and hopefully you and your dad will both lead a happier life. When one of you are gone, you'll never be able to make it right or simply say your sorry. Proud of ya brother, your doing the right thing.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats awesome Rich. I hope everything works out alright. But even if it doesnt, you gave it a shot and that is all that matters. What better way is there to catch up?

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Have a great time! You made the right choice.
    Bill

7. wildhunter066

wildhunter066 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good Luck man time and kids change people hope ur able to have a good relationship with him before its to late you wont regret atleast trying

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck, our prayers go out to you

9. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    hope everything works out for ya Richard.

10. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Thats great Rich,
    I know the past can be a hard thing to put behind us, but it can be well worth it, trust me, I lost my Dad at the begining of this year and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to go through,,
    Good luck
    puddle...:roll_eyes:

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I wish you the best-you only have one dad .....get it right bro its important not just for you but them babies too.Good Luck fishing too:wink:

12. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Richard,

I hope your visit is everything you could dream of. Bless you for letting the past and what happened then be just that. Your Dad deserves a chance and so do you.

13. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    Richard that is great hope all goes well i wish i still had my dad they mean alot

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Good luck Richard! :cool2: Hope all goes well with the meeting with your dad!

15. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Hey Richard good luck and congrads on mending a relationship with your Father!! You have done a wonderful thing and i comend you on it!! Reps coming your way on this one buddy!!!!!!!:wink::cool2:

16. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    it"s not often in life that a man gets a chance to mend a bridge that he has burned.
    you will be in our thoughts and prayers bro.

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    WTG Richard. Sounds like your both ready to bury the hachet.I commend you for taking the first step and calling him. Enjoy each other company and catch a bunch of fish.

18. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good luck Richard. Dosent doing the right thing make you feel good? smokey

19. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    good luck my brother i went thrue same thing with my dad we went 5 years with out a word we got over ouer probs in what a lot of you might think is od but hears my story i raised and flew roller pigeons so did he well i set up at the NC. mountan state fair to exsibit my birds and poultry not knowing he was going to do same well we chated some thrue the days and nights at the fair and one night as we was closeing up he brang me a pair of birds i ask what i oed him caws he always treated me like a stranger when it come to monny well he said cant i just give theam to you becaws i love you thats when i new i had the dad back that i always wanted and im verry verry glad i had him back even thoe just for a short time we made up in 2003 and i lost him in 2005 but thoes 3 little words made up for every thing now i never ever think of the probs we had just all the good and i hope you and your dad have a long long time togather to make new memorys i dedacate this post to my dad i also have a tattoo on my right hand in his memory its a pigeon feather standing for mine and his bond and 3 tears representing me and my two sissters sorry i rambled so long brothers and sissters this post just brawt back some memorys:sad2:

Attached Files:

20. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    hope everything goes well for you richard,good luck and hope you and your pops catch some fish.