Time to hang up the rods.

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by oldstylelight, Oct 17, 2006.

1. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    Of my few favorite things in life (other than my family, wife and kid) are catfishin, along with duck and deer huntin. The boat is winterized and put up until about Feb. In the meanwhile, early muzzleloader season is taking my week up along with the duck huntin opener for south zone this weekend. I am gonna be doin both down at Lake Odessa from wed through sunday and cant wait. i am gonna bring a couple poles and trot lines just in case I shoot a decent deer on thursday and have friday to kill. Might be hard fishin out of my duck boat with a mud buddy and tumbleweed all around it and no depth finder. Anyone ever catfish lake odessa?

I just love this time of year as it transitions from from fishin to huntin, but it is gonna be a long winter for me as i have learned a lot this season about cattin (thanx mike and calyton) and will be anxiously awaiting open water come Feb. or so. Too bad you cant do it all! I encourage anyone here to keep posting over the winter cause it is a good site and good people even if it aint cattin season. (maybe i could go south for a cattin getaway?)

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Oh No Dave, I catch my bait in the winter and freeze it for later use. I also have caught some nice blues in the winter. I do not hunt at all due to a back injury that I sustained on the job two years ago. Fishing is the only habit, I mean hobby that I have.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    don't put your boat up! hunting is great but you should try to get out at least a couple times this winter fishing. Ask all the blue catfish guys on here when they catch their monsters and i bet 80 percent will say winter. soo keep hunting but get that boat back out a couple times and get some line wet! Good luck with it all!

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Its almost illegal to quit fishing now. Shame. Shame. Oh well, more for us die hards to catch. LOL

5. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    [quote=AwShucks;460439]Its almost illegal to quit fishing now. Shame. Shame. Oh well, more for us die hards to catch. LOL[/quote]

Thats what Im talkin about :cool2:

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Dude, I love ya but your a crazy man....I mean that in a good way. I caught some of my biggest fish over ice! get yourself a St.Croix Ice rod for 35.00 and FISH ON!! Seriously though the fishing is still pretty good in the winter months.
    :wink:

7. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i hear you dave, its getting close for me to. i did make it out saturday and sunday, caught 17 saturday and 8 on sunday. if we only had those blues up here in the cedar river i would not put the boat away at all. i hope to make it out a few more times.

clayton

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Putting your boat up already? Dang, I just got mine out!:lol:

9. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    winter is the best blue cat fishing time

10. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    You did the wise thing Dave. I wish I'd have shut down after Labor Day while I still thought I was a catfisherman. All this last month has just demoralized me. Catfish putting on the o'l feeding bing in the fall is a CROCK. primitive

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Done put your boat up,man it's to early for that. The water hasn't froze over yet so don't give it up yet. It's suppose to just now start gettin good.(I HOPE).:sad2: Seriously I just wish I had a boat to be able to put up. Oh well maybe some day. Good luck on the Deer hunting and the Quacker huntin but don't hang up those poles yet.

12. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

Don't give up Ron!!! Fall fishing can be real tough, the fish are in transition. whbut if you find them, look out! use your depth finder to locate the fish. I like fall fishing but just wait til winter, the fish are pretty easy to find and they are big! just keep on plugging along, you'll get on the fish, and the bigguns!

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Heck, I never put up the gear, it is always ready for that next trip!!! If you give up now, you will be missing out on the best part. It is sorta like watching a football game and leaving in the third quarter, LOL!!!

14. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    wow! almost like an aa support group. thanks everyone. although you will notice, everyone that is into winter fishing is from the south. (where they got blues) or warmer winters.

on the brighter side, i am not taking vacation days this thursday and friday, cause i tagged a decent 8pt this evening 10 minutes from home with the ol smokepole. was frustrated cause my wife was out in the field with me and she didnt get a shot.. then she says that i put myself in the best spot, huh. i would have rather her shot a bambi deer as her first one instead of me shootin that buck .. i got blindsighted by the darn thing. i was watchin a big grassy draw from a fence row and i just happened to glance over my shoulder and there he was. 5 yards away. of course he got spooked and high tailed it . i shouldered the muzzy with a scope on it and hit it as it was runnin across a picked soy bean field. went about 100 yards and passed in the middle of the field. that is a rush, my friends. but i would trade it for a 80# mess of channels any day:tounge_out:

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Well, My Son(Hammerhead), my brother(PeaceMan) and Myself along with another fellow went fishing for bait(skipjack) in 9 degree temps last year. We had a blast and Didn't catch but one LMAO!!! I wouldn't call that T-shirt weather, lol!!!

16. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    I feel ya. That just means you just have to put on some snivel gear!:lol:

17. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    at least until my next days off, which is Thurs. and Friday.:smile2:

I've never done much fall or winter fishing, but I think I'm going to give it a try this year and see what happens?

Ken

18. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I haven't put the boat up yet but I'm having trouble finding the time to go. What with it getting dark so early I don't have time to get out after work and the weekends have been pretty full.

On the brighter side, I have a trip planned to Truman Lake November 8-12. I hope to get a big blue.

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I wouldn't give up on the fishing either :tounge_out: ....

Good luck Hunting anywayz:smile2: