Time to get back to fishin

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by scott_2o, Jan 9, 2009.

1. scott_2o

scott_2o New Member

State:
    Muskogee, OK
    Well now that huntin season and football are finally over for me I can get back to some serious catfishing. I cant believe I have been away from this site so long(spending way to much time in the football forums). Anyway I did get a couple of trips in and would like to thank Mr Sthall sp? For a fun trip even though we just about got blown off the lake and didn't catch alot. By the way keeping the shad in the rock salt has worked geat for me and helped me keep some fresh bait without having to freeze it.

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Glad you had a good trip with John Stahl. You are lucky to be alive after that boat ride from what I hear. The weather was not in your favor that day and your catch reflected that too. The stories he told you are true. When the weather cooperates the catch can be unbelievable to most people.
    He and

3. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Glad you had a good time with John Stahl on your jugging trip. The boat ride that day was an experience from what I hear. The stories he told you were true. When the weather cooperates the catch can be unbelievable on that lake. He and i have another bait experiment scheduled for our next trip. I have some of those rock salted shad in a vac bag and they are months old but should still work great.
    He spoke highly of you and your friend after the trip.

4. scott_2o

scott_2o New Member

State:
    Muskogee, OK
    John was a realy nice guy and everything he said about the trip is true. The boat ride back to the ramp was about the most intense experience I have had on the water. I hope Jon gets a chance to come up to grand this spring and work the spoonbill again so maybe I can show him a thing or two about snaggin.:big_smile:

5. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    He will be there. I think he already has his gear ready for snagging. We are going to be heading back to the area he took you within the next week. We both have cabin fever.

6. scott_2o

scott_2o New Member

State:
    Muskogee, OK
    George I hope you and John catch a bunch I know how bad that cabin fever gets. Also tell John that I made some of them jugs and by moving the noodle to the middle of the pvc they have done a better job of staying flat.:wink:

7. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Did you put the rebar inside the PVC? You are correct with the placement of the noodle. I sometimes pull the noodle farther towards the bottom so that the jug stands up better when I get a hit (which normally is not too long). I have also made some small noodles for crappie. In addition I have made some noodles into cat bobbers for r & r fishing. The noodles are about 3" tall with a 5" piece of PVC skewering it, a glued cap on top and a pressure fitted cap on bottom. A 1/8" hole is drilled in top and bottom of the caps. You now have a slip cat bobber. You use a 2 oz egg sinker above a barrel swivel connected to an 18" leader and a 4/0 circle hook with a piece of cut shad for bait. It passes the time between jug runs.

CG

8. scott_2o

scott_2o New Member

State:
    Muskogee, OK
    Yes I did put the re bar inside the PVC. The bobber idea is pretty neat and i may have to try that. I have heard of guys making casting floats out of a piece of PVC filled with spray foam but have never tried to make my own.

9. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Scott-

John said he would be working the paddle fish processing station Feb 17-22, 2009. He will be back in April after walleye season is over for him. He is looking forward to snagging and doing some jugging with you.