Time to Get an pointer pup

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by brad kilpatrick, Nov 11, 2006.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    OK guys here is the deal, 1st off I'm strictly an Elhew Pointer Guy. My current pointer Shelby is getting a little long in the tooth (Shes 7) I want to get another dog and be able to enjoy hunting them together before I have to retire ole Shelby. Shelby is a fantastic lil dog, constantly out hunting My other buddys dogs. Well actualy she freaking dominates them!!!! Opening weekend She hunted with 4 other dogs and found 90% of the birds that got shot!!! She's very healthy and should hae a few more good seasons left but I want to get another going before she slows down.

Shelby has a fantastic bloodline. Ch Elhew Snakefoot is the Grandsire on the Dams side and Ch Brooks Elhew Ranger, is the grandsire on the sires side. both of Shelbys parents were hunting dogs not trial dogs. I've looked at several kennels but Am having a hard time deciding which to go with. price is not much of an object, I'll pay to get what I want! Unfortunatly with the passing of Bob Wehle, The Elhew Kennel no longer offers pups. I'm leaning towards Hampshire Kennels right now, but am open to suggestions.

2. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Brad,
    there is a guy up here about 15 miles from me that raises Elhew Pointers. A freind of mine got a pup from is last litter. I will ask around and see what bloodlines he has and try to do a little research for ya! It may take me a little time as I dont see him alot, he works kinda odd hours, the friend of mine.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'm going to look at a few pups tomorrow at Nitro Kennels. Not sure if they are gonna have what I want. They have 2 males and one female orange and white pointers that are 5 mos old and have started some training. they say they are pointing pigeons and quail but have not been shot over yet.

The other prospect i'm looking at is from Outback Kennels. "Oscar" is 7-8 mos old and has a solid base to his training. I spoke with the trainer today who said He knows "here", "heel", "whoa", and is pointing birds and is steady to wing and shot. Oscar is a good looking pup but so far is only about 40lbs, I was kinda hoping for a bigger dog as My female is 40 lbs as well. oscar is going to get a bit bigger, but this is only a minor thing and not a total deal breaker. check this handsome boy out He's about halfway down the page

http://www.outbackgundogs.com/reserveyouroutbackpuppytoday.htm