Time to Fish or Cut Bait!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Salmonid, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok, starting last fall I was using a fair amount of cut bait and always noticed I was having the same quandry every time I was hooking it up. Lets say I am using cubed filets, How do you guys bury your hooks into it so that you end up with a wide hook gap exposed on it?

I experiemented with just a light hook under the skin and doing a 1 time through the corner and have tried several different ways. All seem like I miss fish on good runs that should result in a solid hookup. ( could be smaller fish)

Some might say to get a bigger hook but Im usually using a 6/0 or 8/0 Octopus which is already pretty big.( also has a pretty wide hook gap)

Now I was thinking about snelling a dropper hook on about 4" on heavy mono to hook the backside so I would have 2 exposed hooks , 1 on each side to increase hookup opportunities. Im sure theis would work well on bluegills with a hook through the nose and in front of the tail to hook them whichever way they suck em in.

Anyone ever do this or have any other better ideas?
    Oh yeah, Im not sold on Circle hooks yet so nix that approach for now.

Salmonid

2. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i use perch fillets with the skin left on the outside i fold it over and hook it threw the bend in it wont come off when you cast it and still have enough hook exposed to hook up fish.

3. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I usually use skipjack cut into steaks. IMO, the head is the best piece. I hook the head through the eyes which leaves plenty of hook exposed unless it's a really big skippy. On the steaks, I like to use about 2-3" chunks and I hook them in line with the spine. I go under the skin from one end and out the other without ever piercing the skin. This seems to work well for me. I use 7/0 circle hooks but this method should work equally well with "J" hooks.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if your using cut bait and a "non" circle hook at 6-8/0 then your hook is no doubt too big! man that is a huge hook! a 4/0 circle is about the size of a #1 or #2 j-style hook. when i use j-hooks for cutbait i usually use a 1 or 2 hook. you dont need a huge hook to catch a big fish anyway. when i used to use "quickstrike" rigs i was using #8 trebbels and sometimes #10's. smaller hooks are a whole lot sharper and lighter, just make sure its not made from light wire. you might wanna give quickstikes a try too if your using a peice of bait longer than 3 inches.

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Dink, when we use Bluegillheads or cubed suckers/carp etc. the pieces are maybe 1 inch wide, 1.5 inches tall and about 3 inches long so the 6/0 hooks seem about right to get through the whole piece. If I use anything smaller, it just doesnt look right if that makes sense. Maybe I should be using smaller pieces, This year I am going to do a lot of research and a lot of experimentation.

Doesnt look like any gmr action for a while with the flooding :sad:

Salmonid

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is how I hook my cutbait, J style or circle hooks.

Attached Files:

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Jack, are you comng all the way through the fillet or did you start it in the middle and push it the rest of the way through for more of a wide gap?

thats about how I try to do it.

Modifications coming on the Letter to include my friend.

Salmonid

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the photo Flathunter posted is the correct way to hook the bait. if your using bait that big and your in an area with a lot of 1-3lb channels then your gonna miss a lot of fish. with that size of a bait a smaller channel will grab about half of it and run off and try to get it down later. when i channel fish my bait/hook's are 1/3 that size, but that is about perfect for flats. maybe a little bigger too.

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Like flathunter that is how I mostly hook mine, you can also run the hook through two times so the line will also hold the bait. Sometimes I will even run the hook inside with the hook hanging out the top.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is about the size I will use for flats, and yes I did come all the way thru the bait, the hook is a 7/0 J style..This would be to big for most channels, although I have caught them on baits and hooks this big.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yep I hook my cut bait close to the edge of the bait making sure to go all the way through the bait. But far enough in from the edge so it does not tear thru as easy. As far as your hook sizes, I would say there the correct size. You start using to small a hook for the size of bait and fish and you will not get good penitration.

12. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Dink may be right when he says smaller channels may be working my bait over and this spot has a lot of 2-3 lb channels.
    Of course thats not what i am looking for :rolleyes: but that is possible.

Thanks for the thoughts gentlemen!!

Salmonid

13. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Your problem maybe that using circle hooks your setting the hook. When a fish hits merely raise rod till you feel the fish on then start reeling it in. With a circle hook you could be ripping the bait out of their mouths.

14. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    And hes right thats the design, from what I see of it and understand is that with it being a circle its ment to rotate in the corner of his mouth ..under his power"his doing"
    And if you yank up hard like you might with a Kahle then it will just pop out of his mouth
    I cant stand to watch my rod just load up like that ..to many years of pouncing on it ...but im going to try it again

Its a very good thought about Channels eating at your bait but not being able to outh it and there for giving false hope to the poor cat man on the other end

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Circle Hook "Sets" are not Marks problem, becasue he doesnt use circles. Some of the problem may be from me. If you've seen the size of bait I use, it's almost always prob too big for small channels. If it's not 4 pounds I dont want it on my line or dont want to bother about taking it off my line!

Mark, Why dont you try Khale hooks. You can use them as a circle or go ahead & set the hook.

16. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Somehow I knew it was all Mellon's fault ;)
    Next time youll have to cut some smaller bait just for me that way your sidekick will get his own bag of bait.... but maybe thats not such a good idea either........Im sure my bag would be full of fins and tails...:p

In the dozen times out, with Circle hook folks, they seem to miss most of the hits they get so Im still not convinced yet.....Perhaps Jack could show both of us how to do it.

Salmonid

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack almost never misses a fish on Circle hooks, mellon did not pay good enough attention to details when I gave him that lesson.;)

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Too many people that I fish with (ie: PENDOG & SALMONID!!! ;) ) think every time the line moves or current takes off there is a fish! Just razzing you (Where is Pendog anyways?) Once that rod really loads up, I think it's hard to actually miss a fish w/ circles. You have to be patient, much more patient than I usually am.