time of year

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by Wil, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    when does the water usually get warm enough for the cats to start bitin hard core? my buddy and i have went out two days in a row and havent had a single nibble.

2. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    ive had the BEST luck with water in in the 50's-60's

3. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ya i know that but what time of year, im guessing probable mid april early may?

4. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    all depends on the rain and the melt. next week is going to be cold. and if we continue to have really cold nights itll be longer. late april early may usually. but this years like any other.. we're in NE. i dont care when it happens as long as it happens SOOOOOON!!!!

5. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    YEA IVE HAD ENOUGH OF THAT! im ready for AT LEAST a nibble

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    It all depends on the weather, like Steve mentioned. I had great luck with the cats on Elwood Res. as early as March. Providing they pump water into the lake. usually May is the magic month around here for me. I like using shad as a cold water bait and when things heat up I'll switch to stinkbait. June and July, even August are great months for stinkbait on the cats.

Mark..

7. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    thanks guys, i appreciate it

8. uglymike

uglymike New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Try fishing in the warmest water you can find, even a couple degrees warmer makes a difference. Usually this means SHALLOW, sometimes only 3' or less. Try and fish with the wind in your face, and remember that in that shallow water they're spooky, so don't make any noise! Dropping stuff in your boat, squeaky oars, splashing your anchor in the water, etc. Mike