time of year

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by vaccouple, Feb 9, 2008.

1. vaccouple

vaccouple New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    What time of year works best for stink or dough baits? I have tired them and havent had much luck. And what works best store bought or homemade?

Orrin

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    whatever time you can get out is the best time to use them. most will say that the best time is when the water temps get up to around 70, but i was watching a show on th outdoor channel and they were using dip bait (stink bait) in december and the water temp was in the 40's and still catching channels. the problem is when the water is cold, the kitties dont want to move as much to get to a meal, but when its warm they get really active and will go farther to get a meal. there are quite a few on this site that swear by sonny's dip bait and by danny kings punch bait, so those are the 2 i would go with. good luck and i hope this helps.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    another thing i forgot to mention, it all depends on where you are fishing too. if you fish in heavy current then the bait will not last as long on your hook. i also suggest that if you are going to use dip baits that you pick up some looper rigs. you can get them in the BOC sponsors store. they work really well and last forever. i would definately use chicken livers and cut bait when the water is colder though. them seem to work better. if you are a bank fisherman, make sure you fish deep holes and be patient, once you get them figured out, you can pretty much tell what the kitties are ogin to be doing as soon as you get to the lake or river. when the water is cold, they go to deep holes and get sluggish. you pretty much have to put the baits right on ther nose or run it right in front of them. when the water warms up though they get more agressive and will go on the prowl especially in the evenings and right after dark. just be patient and you will start to figure them out. what kind of cats are you targeting speciffically, or does it not really matter?

4. vaccouple

vaccouple New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    thanks for all the infro. Joey. I like channel or blues. And I do both bank fish and boat I have a 16 ft. v-bottom. Again thanks Joey.
    Orrin

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Another vote for DK's here. And Joey is right as long as the water is still liquid it will catch fish. But it does work best from 70 degrees on. The scent travels better and/or it disperses better in warm water. Good luck :cool2:.

6. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    I use doughbait all year round.
    But I do like it better in the summer because the warm water keeps the ball softer and I feel it carries the scent a little further under water.

This winter i have had fair luck with doughbait, but ive started under cooking it just a little, and i use Liquid Lure to soak it in before i drop it in the water.

The impoortant thing for winter i feel is not over cooking it. As a matter of fact under cooking it a tad helps IMO.

7. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I have used Sonny's and have had real good luck with it. Haven't never used it the cooler months. As far as homemade goes, I have never made any, but there are alot of good ideas on homemade stinkbait on this site that might be worth checking out.