Time of Day

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by jkm4874ford, Jan 30, 2009.

1. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    Do you guy's Trotline, jug or limbline during the day. I've always heard that day time fishing this way was not very profitable. Was thinking of trying limblines during the day this year and was hust wondering.

2. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I do most of my catfishing during the day. I catch some nice sized fish for my area. I have not set a trot line yet, but I have been jug fishing for years in the daylight. My largest channel cat on a jug last year was about 11 3/4 lbs. I caught a lot of fish between 2-5 lbs (I C&R almost all of my fish). You should hit the shallows and creek mouths leading into the lake in Spring. The catfish will pile up in these areas. They will be in search of bait fish and winter killed frogs. These are great places for some action. Never let anyone tell you that, you can't catch catfish in the daytime. Go ahead and give it a try.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

I'm curious as to what ya mean by "PROFITABLE" ?

4. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    How much luck using the alternate methods during the daylight hours.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I would guess that I do 90-95 percent of my catfishing during the day, except for trotlining. I don't put out a trotline unless I plan to leave it out at least a couple of days, so it fishing both day and night. Occasionally, I'll jugfish at night, but usually during the day. Night seems to be a little big more productive, but not as much as you might think. I do find that from daylight to about 10:00am produces best; it slacks off during the middle of the day, then picks up again in the late afternoon--but late afternoon isn't as good as early morning.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'm like jtrew, though I almost never do any trotlining these days. If you look through all the member fishing pics here, you will see that most of them are daytime catches. Good luck with the fishing....:smile2:

7. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    Like to say thanks for the comments. I had always heard that the bluegill would pick limb line and leave you empty handed.

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish KY Lake with limb lines and jugs. During the day with cut bait on jugs,,, I would catch ten gar to one catfish.. At night it would be all catfish. [floating jugs not anchored]

Same with limb lines,,, only all the bait stealers,,, turtles,,, blue gills will just get all the bait during the day. At night you can bait with crawlers, cut bait and liver and have no problems and get catfish.

You can use liver during the day,,, gar don't seem to hit it much. I had some homemade soap bait that only cats hit also.

Those big gar are a pain in the butt.

If you run steel leaders on your limb lines, you will end up with lots of snappers.. I had lines that I thought were cut and hooks broken or straightened,,,,, went to wire leaders and low and behold,,, did I have the snapper turtles. lol

Ended up cutting the leaders as I am trying to get the hook out of a 20 to 50 pound turtle. lol

Anyone wanting turtles,,, back of Ginger Bay,,,, Land between the Lakes on Kentucky Lake,,,, you will get lots with steel leaders.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I wouldnt think limblines would be any good during the day due to the catfish dont come near bank till dark but thats where i fish . You wont know till you try . Let us know it turns out for you .

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    And welcome to the b.o.c.