Time for some Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by JNHoffman57, Aug 24, 2009.

1. JNHoffman57

JNHoffman57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey everyone,

I've had lots of people tell me I should come over to check out this forum for some of the best cat chat and tips so here I am!

Just a little background: I've been into fishing since I can remember but recently have I went full boar into it and stepped up tackle, got the boat running, and spent hours researching on the net and out on the lake. I've been stuck shore fishing up until March of this year when I got my late fathers boat back into shape to hit the water again... Haven't always had the best luck from shore but now that I've got the boat I have been having tons more success, not only with bass but cats and just about everything else as well.

A friend of mine was in town from the Navy last month so we loaded up the boat, bought a dozen and a half HUGE waterdogs, and went up to pleasant... The water was around 90% when we headed up to the " s curve " in Humbug cove, got there right around sundown and started soaking the dogs. My buddy had a real big hit and reeled his water dog in to see that half of it was bit off, not sure if it was a flathead or a striper though. About a half hour after that I felt my line start to run away slowly so I let him take if for about 3-4 seconds before setting the hook... And when I did, I just about flipped out. I've never heard my drag scream that much in my entire life haha. After about a 10 minute fight I reeled in my first flathead, and on the scale it was about 18lbs. From what I've been reading that's not really all that big, but it was for me!! Every since then, I've been wanting to go back out and catch some more... BAD!!! At the current moment, I'm stuck going to Pleasant because work is slow and I can't afford gas to get out anywhere other than there. Hopefully that will change soon, but anyways...

I'm just looking to get some general info on best types of areas to look for them, depths, bait, gear, etc... From what I've heard and been reading waterdogs aren't really the way to go, bluegill and carp are better?? How big of ones do you usually use?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! I look forward to talking to you all and hopefully getting to learn some stuff from all the catfish masters on here!

2. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    welcome j. sounds like you had fun with that 18lber. i only fish bart horseshoe and pleasant. and now the only lake hitting for me is pleasant. you need to go to walmart and get berkley power bait. its pink and stringy. i use that and it works great.its only 4 bucks a container and last a while. at pleasant if you use anywhere from a 4-6in gill that would be perfect. hope this makes sense i just took some pain pills. i catch most in the coves around the lake. make sure you at least have 50lb line on your poles. fish the agua fria river part of the lake in bout 5-10ft of water. check out my other threads in this section its titled lake pleasant good luck.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Were glad to help and WELCOME TO THE B.O.C brother.

4. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome to the BOC Jeremy, Ralph is right about pleasant, he has been producing up there. I just fished Bartlett last Thursday nite, gone up past shiprock and fished, no runs. We decided to move downstream into a cove where it looked good, had cliffs and drop-off upstream from the cove and deep water before you enter it and gradually got shallow. Fished it all night there, my friend caught 6# flathead and I had screaming run but no hook up. Bartlett is almost full so it's tough to find the flatheads, seem to be spread out pretty good, but you can find them there. Pleasant on the other hand is low so you may be able to find them.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Jeremy awesome post an very informative on yourself. Many thanks an welcome to the BOC my friend!

6. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    Welcome to BOC. You're lucky to be able to get to Pleasant. I am down in Tucson so it's Patagonia or Gila river that I'm closest to. my biggest flat is in my avatar, so I'd say you're doing a bit better than me:smile2:

7. JNHoffman57

JNHoffman57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for all the replies and welcomes everyone!

One thing I was still curious about is how you hook your baitfish and how you present them... When I was fishing the waterdogs I had a 1oz weight about 3 foot ahead of the dog. Is that similar to the way you would rig a bluegill on or is done another way?

8. JNHoffman57

JNHoffman57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Haha, if I were you I'd start doing some bass fishing down there at Patagonia! I've never been fishing there but I see pictures of monsters pulled out of there on a consistent basis. Good luck!

9. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    what up j! glad to see you made it over here to the boc! I usually hook my gills behind the the dorsil fin, with a 7/0-8/0 gamu circle hook on a carolina rig with 50lb mono. hope this helps and good luck out there!

10. JNHoffman57

JNHoffman57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks man, that helps alot! Do you use braid or mono??

I think I saw your avatar pic up on azgfd a while back ago... Nice fish!

11. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    I use mono, but i know alot of guys that use braid. I thought that was you from azgd. i just went and doubled checked. hey man just roll through the threads so much info and all the guys are cool and are here to help

12. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    welcome Jeremy to the BOC, will be looking for your posts!

13. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    welcome to the BOC jeremy, yeah lots of info on here.