TIME FOR NEW LINE?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by lazer20, Sep 24, 2009.

1. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    I use Power Pro Braided line on all my bait casters, But my question is how often do you change out your line. I usually change mine out every week ( if I fish average of 5-6 hours a day). Do you think im wasting money or would you do the same?

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I let my line last me 2-3 yrs.:eek:oooh:

3. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::crazy::crazy::crazy:

one to two years is what most do.

No, here send you old line to me :smile2:

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    :eek:oooh::crazy: big wast of mony bro you can get up to 6 years outa that stuff fish it for 3 years then flip it around and go 3 more years wow one's a week :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

5. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    I have had my power pro on most my reels for almost a year now. Some of my reels see saltwater and freshwater. The line is still holding strong. I have 10lb to 50lb spooled. I use a mono topshot of 10lb, on my 15lb braid. I use that for throwing lures, and when i go to the pier to catch mackerel. When the mono topshot gets beat up i just cut it off and add more, meanwhile my 150yards of braid never gets to abused.

Even the heavy stuff doesn't need a changing very often. My "big game rig" is Okuma ABF55 with 50lb power pro. I switch between a 7ft hvy action rod to a 9ft surf rod. It gets fished in salt for batrays(up 100lbs), and sharks. I also use it when fishing for large cats or carp in fresh water. This is the second reel that i have had this 50lb on and it's still smooth as ever.

I have used spiderwire a bunch and it didn't like the switch between salt and freshwater. It would break off easy after a few trips. I have yet to replace my power pro on any of my reels in the last 11 months of use.

So keep using the line you have. If you tie on a lot of jigs/lures then try the topshot of mono and save that $$$ your spending on line for other tackle!

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't change my line until I have to. I use #65 on a couple 6500 and 7000 Abu's. I fish the river and usually get quite a few snags resulting in break offs. If I fished and area where snags were not an issue, I would not change my line for 3 or 4 years.

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I have 2 yr old braid on mine, the power pro green is more yellowish now but still working fine...I dont really like it to much for the river because of snags and it will slice you up like a Christmas Ham!

8. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I use mono and I dont change that often. I usually wait till the snags have claims a majority of my line and then I respool.

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In my opinion you are going way overboard, but if you can afford it and it makes you more confident it doesn't hurt. On my setups with mono I change out everything at the beginning of the year then change out when get down below 75% of spools. On power pro I wouldn't even look at it for a year or two and then I would only change if I had problems or was running low on line.

On the other hand confidence is VERY important. If you area not confident in your setup and bait you will make decisions that will hurt your fishing. To really get the most out of fishing you need to be confident that the bait your using will work and the equipment is going to get the job done. If going overboard on something makes you more confident that is a good thing.

10. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    Thanks, guess i went a little overboard. I just like messing with my gear My friday night is spent drinking beer and replacing and rerigging my tackle. thanks guys

11. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Change mine when line gets low on reel after alot of snags.

12. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    wow, once a week seriously? man thats gotta be getting expensive! i change my line (65# power pro) once a year. in jan/feb, ill put new line on and in june-july ill switch it over to another reel to reverse it

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Man,I,d have to own the company to change out every week.I fish ny braids hard and only replace when I get below 3/4 capacity.I use short mono leaders 10# lighter than the braid so they break first.I whack off the first foot and a half where it gets wear from the sinker pretty regularly.As far as complete changes,it,s usually every 5 years.I bitch about the cost even then.:crazy:.Try and spend your friday nights drinking beer down by the river while your fishing,you,ll be catching cats and saving money!:big_smile:.

14. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I use mono and only change once a year, unless my line gets low or gets a really bad memory (i use spinning gear).

With braid i would think you could get at least 2 years out of it. Just cut off the first few feet if it gets nicked up or frays.

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good lord man you use power pro and change it out every week!?I hope you gotta good job.that stuff lasts a long time as long as you dont break it off or nick it up to bad.You dont need to change mono line out that often. save some money use that stuff as long as you can.:eek:oooh::crazy:

16. festus

festus New Member

I've heard several of the professional TV fishermen preaching a line change every time they go fishing. That's just too often. Unless I've had a lot of hangups and stretched line, or the line on the reel gets low and casting quality is suffering, I seldom change line over 2 to 3 times per year. I use mostly Berkley Big Game line in sizes from 12 lb. test up to 30 lb. test and it seems as good as any other monofilament.

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Those professional TV fishermen neglect to tell you which line company is sponsering them.Makes a big difference if your getting it for free.:wink: