time for boat

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Rcaarizona, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Finally broke down this weekend, and made up my mind. A pontoon boat is definately in my very near future. I do not know jack about boat motors, and since most the places I fish are out of cell range, Brianthelion cant come resuce me! LOL, So I guess it is either older boat, with new motor, or Im thinking New boat/New motor. Or newer boat, new motor. So, I plan to have this lil adventure wrapped up and purchased by April. I like those suntrackers, I think I definately want a 22-25 footer. So we shall see........can't wait! i REALLY like those tritoon boats too!Any advice/expereince is surely appreciated!

2. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I have seen a lot of guys using them. I would love to have one. My wife would love it too. She could relax and fish from a nice big platform. Instead of a rocking boat. I imagine my catfishing buddy would like it too. More room for a bigger cooler of beer.

3. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i dont know the 1st thing bout boats but cant go wrong with new.

4. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    best piece of advice i can offer is make sure there is room for me on the boat lol :smile2::smile2:

5. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    the one thing that i can say is definatly go with one of 3 motors 1 mercs run forever and produce the most power 2 johsons run great to and will run a life time 3 evenrudes are right there with johsons. i would stay away from everything else that just my opion but i bet if u went to a mecanic i am not far off and if u go with any of those u can get parts anywere and its just my opinion but a boat is only as good as the motor that pushes it. hope that helps rob:cool2:

7. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    me too!

8. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i have had boat little boats like the sardine can:big_smile: up to what i have now and by far the toon is the way to go the only thing is thay are a little heaver then the fiberglass boats that i have had but it would never get a regular hull boat again

9. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    keep in mind new boats break down to! Its nice to have a new boat if you dont have to finance it. Lets break it down not only will you have a boat payment, but also factor in the expenses you occur even before taking out the boat; gas for vehicle and boat food etc... I would spend a 100.00 bucks easy when taking out the family for a weekend. during peak times going out every weekend would cost me an extra 400.00 dollars a month now tack that on to your average payment of 2-300.00 hundred bucks:eek:oooh:
    I would recommend looking for a well maintained used boat. Im sure there is plenty going around with this economy. also remember to ask for proof of service. I was one of five friends that bought a boat around the same time. all the other guys bought new. I got a steal on a used 20footer I paid cash for. Although their boats were alot nicer than mine i was able to enjoy mine more and had it alot longer then the others. If I didnt get hurt this year at work I would still own it. Most lost their boats to default or had to sell them.

10. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    I agree. I owned a 20' open bow but after spending a day on your toon I think thats the direction Im heading towards. Unless I can find a smoking deal on one of those new deck boats.:cool2:

11. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    if u go get a toon and finace it it is probly going to be around 20,000 and gwille is right get a used one there is alot of nice boats out there that u dont have to pay new price for

12. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    If you get an older boat and a new motor, do yourself a favor and get a four stroke. For the non-mechanically inclined they are way simpler, no mixing gas and oil or fuel reeds gettin gunked up. Lot cleaner for you, your boat and the water.:wink: I'm not a boat mechanic but I do know 4 stroke is the way to go.

13. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    you da man chad, I listen to everything you say, you do know a crap load about boats. I know you will be on it many o times next year

14. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Boat won't be financed, so that is no problem. I would definately consider a newer/used boat. I think I like atleast Chads sized boat, but I sure like that 27 footer. Definately like the tritoon still.

15. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I'm actually looking for a 14 footer too, I would rather have a flatbottom but a v hull would work. Whatever it is, by spring it will be a deck boat and a catfishing machine. Got power tools and a welder and Im not afraid to use them!!!!!

16. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    you are right about the 4 stroke being easer but u are going to put out more money for a 4 sroke and if u get a newer 2 stroke like mine its oil injecked so u dont have to do any mixing and like me i dont do alot of trolling and if u do a 4 stroke is the way to go cause thay dont get fouled up if ur just idling but if ur like me and just running to the flatthead holes u wont have a problem with a 2 stroke

17. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    those tritoons are pimp and thay have a sportier handling than just ur standard toon. thay sit out of the water higher to but i have never had a problem with mine eather

18. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I wouldnt get a Mercury, thats just me, Evinrude and Johnson are the same thing, both made by OMC. If I were to get a new motor, it would be a Suzuki or a Yamaha, or Honda. I dont know anyone with any 3 of them motors that has anything bad to say about them. The older Johnson/Evinrudes are good runners though. I cant say i care much for the newer ones.

19. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Rob we used to catfish out of a Sweetwater Voyager fish and lounge. it was a 22 footer with a 60 horse johnosn. it moved alright for a pontoon. and was awesome to catfish out of. especially anchor. it had 2 fishing seats up front and 2 fishing seats in the back. had the big L shaped couch on it as well. Back when we had it all we did was anchor fish. I can remember tons of nights that my buddies and i would go out on that thing and anchor up all night and two of us would pass out on the couch (on opposite ends) (it was big) and the other would sprawl out in the awesome comfy captains chair and when we heard a clicker wed wake up and catch a fish. nothing more comfy than that boat. but we got rid of comfort for speed and more agility and worked great. but we also like to tourney fish and run far. but for you pleasure catfishermen especially flathunters the pontoon is the way to go on the bigger bodies of water

20. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    you are shopping at the right time it's a buyer's market:big_smile: look on craig's list :wink: I've been looking at them myself. :smile2: if you are looking for a deck boat there is one in Dewey 98 alum 20' w/225 merc motivated seller I can get # for anyone interested,