Time for a new squirrel king

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cheapNdisgusting, Dec 13, 2008.

1. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I live in the Ozarks so the wildlife I watch are not "cityfied", but instead have a harder life.

In my front yard stands a white oak that has to be 150 years old. It is a prolific producer of acorns and the critters from the area all show up to feast. Deer, turkeys, and "Rocky" the grey squirrel. I noticed Rocky a couple years ago because he was missing a part of his right ear from a fight and sorta kept an eye on him. He was a very agressive squirrel and had a set of gonads that I don't see how he could walk with them. Anyhow, I watched Rocky dominate the front yard from chasing other squirrels to barking at deer - turkeys and me.

I feed the birds every day and Rocky was almost always FIRST at an easy meal. When he had enough and went off to nap, then the other squirrels would stop in. In the spring , Rocky would let females share in his bounty but fiercly kept the other males at bay. As time passed, Rocky started to show his age. His feet hair turned grey/white, same with his ears, and most of his tail, but his spirit didn't dim at all. It seems the older he got - the more agressive he was. "Crabby old fart" was about to become his name.

About 5 days ago Rocky didn't show up and I started watching just for him. Then 3 days ago the other males started fighting over the food. Since Rocky probably became lunch for a hawk, the squirrel wars have started.

This hasn't produced another Rocky II yet but with the genes he so prolifically spread and territory defended, it won't be long before there is another squirrel king of the front yard.

Looking forward to it.

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    We have a Fox squirrel that run's things here been here for the 2 years we have lived here don't know his age but he is as big as they come around here . We call him butterball if he don't start getting some excersise he will be a hawk or owl's butterball !

3. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Nice story Russell. Please feel free to share any more.

4. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Ya know Rus with the hectic lives we lead some times the best thing we can do is slow down and just watch the squirrels.
    Great story.
    HIS will be done!

5. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I was just sharing some of the enjoyment I had watching Rocky be Rocky. Survival of the fitest is how nature survives. Same way with a big old catfish. Eat the small ones and let the big one go.

Bye the way, look at the rack I am holding in my avitar - That was the LAST buck I will ever take. He was the biggest I ever saw on the farm and 30 min. after I shot him - I realized I just pissed in the gene pool.

6. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Great story! Thanks! Sounds like you have a regular friday night fight every day in the yard! LOL!