Time for a new catfish reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Canadiancatman, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Since I blew up my reel and have been using my old backup for a few weeks it's time to get a new one. I've been doing some research and I know I don't want an abu by the sounds of it they wear out quick. They look alright especially the red 7000 but from what I've seen of the new ones the quality just isn't there. I'm tossing 3oz up to 8oz of lead and 4oz of sucker steak for giant channels. I mostly fish from shore and am very carefull about where i set my rod when landing fish but it's impossible to avoid getting it dirty what I'm looking for is suggestions on a quality durable baitcaster with levelwind and a good solid clicker. I'm not afraid to spend some cash on a quality reel. Been looking at a penn international 965 and of course shimano calcuttas but heard they don't like getting dirty. I appreciate any input thanks :big_smile:

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fished the Red out of Selkirk for several years and have landed my share of big channels and I've never used anything but the 5000 series Abu's and never had any problems at all. In fact, I still fish some of them from time to time. I guess that given time and circumstance, anything will eventually wear out, but my Abu's have proven to be real workhorses over the 25+ years I've been using them. Stay safe and good luck with whatever you opt for.:wink:

3. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Larry the old Abu's I've used were good the new ones seem to not be as well made. Thanks for your reply! :big_smile:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shane there is still some 7000, Made in Sweeden, still floating around. You just have to look hard for them. If you can find them you will have a reel that will out last you and I.

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    shimano calcuttas are awesome reels I use them for striper fishing in the fall. I'm not to sure how they would put up with dirt though probably not to good.

6. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ive got a 400 calcutta B and Ive put it through hell in the 3 years Ive had it.Still works good. Id like to get my hands on the 965 Penn.

7. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro

I agree with Mike, my reel of choice is the Calcutta 400B. I have several of them and have landed many big fish with them. I only use them on the boat where dirt or grit is not an issue, so I can't say how well they would hold up to that.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I've pulled in a bunch of big blues with ammbassadeur 7000's and penn 320's. Both have screamin clickers. I guess the dirt part is part of doin bussiness. Maintenance is the key. :wink:

9. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    The Penn 320 is sweet. They have great clickers and the drag system on any Penn is legendary. Tight lines.

:cool2:

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would highly recommend an ABU 7000iCS Pro Rocket.

11. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Thanks for all your helpfull insight bros!! I'm heading into the city soon to go and get my new reel hoping to get a new rod as well I'll let you all know what I end up getting. I'm thinking of looking at the Okuma Induron as well a former cat guide reccomended those as a cheaper reel that performed well for him and after really thinking about how much this reel is going to get abused I use my stuff hard I don't want to go all out and spend too much. Plus if i get a cheaper reel I can get a new rod too and maybe some terminal tackle as well. :big_smile:

12. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    If you want a solid inexpensive reel. I suggest either the Penn 209/309. They are a great no frills reel. And hold a ton of line. I have a 209 on one of my big rigs and I love it. I just dont get enough chances to use it.

Also if you go and find an Abu that is sweden made you probably wont go wrong either.

13. tillmac

tillmac New Member

State:
    SC
    I use the Penn 320 GTI.

14. Canadiancatman

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Hey thanks for the replies everyone!! :cool2: I just got back and after going to three different fishing stores and looking at everything from top to bottom in price and quality I ended up with an Okuma Induron IDx 400a
    it's got Titanium coated line guide insert
    • Multi-disk Carbonite drag system
    • 7 stainless steel ball bearings
    • 1 Quick-Set antireverse roller bearing
    • Precision machine cut brass gearing
    • 1-piece Machined Rigid Frame construction
    • Adjustable 6-pin Velocity Control System
    • On/Off clicker function

I picked this reel because of the features for the money and it felt better than reels twice the price. It also left me enough to get a 7.6ft extra heavy fast action shimano compre musky rod. I know but I'm sure I'm not the only one that knows they make good cat rods!! :smile2:

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been casting 8-12ozs of weight for the lst couple years on newer abu 6500;s...I bought a couple more new ones this year, and they are doing a fine job.

I also have older abu reels, but I like the new ones better.