Time for a change ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Nov 24, 2005.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Habit sings a siren's song that hides a deadly trap. We tend to be creatures of habit, fishing the same areas, using the same lures, and following identical patterns every time we're on the water. That approach may work on many days, but it also has built-in limitations. Conditions change constantly and fish modify their behavior to adapt. If the fish aren't biting, look for new spots and try to analyze he conditions. Experiment with different tactics. Keep changing your setup and approach until something positive happens. Learn to search the entire water column when possible. Work an area with a game plan rather than at random. Even on the good days, it pays to spend a little time experimenting and searching for new spots. As you add to your knowledge, you will be better equipped to produce fish on those days when most folks return to the dock with only a suntan.

This tip really can help you produce more and bigger fish, I always keep this in mind and I dont hesitate to try a new spot or technique. I used to be kinda scared to try something new just because I caught fish doing a certain thing and I was scared I would get skunked if I tried something new. Once I learned to feel confident about trying new spots, and tactics, my success increased greatly. Keep this in mind also when you try a new spot for the first time dont give up on it if you dont catch any fish, because, heck I dont know of any spots that produce fish EVERY single time.

BTW, my dad taught me this lesson.

good luck :)

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Your so right. Most people I know fish only one way. I know someone that fishes the same area he catches one fish in for days on end because he caught a fish there and only knows how to fish one way. But changing up is always what is in order to keep fish in the boat.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep, I used to do the same thing all the time. Glad I dont anymore, because it not only helped me get more fish but also its fun to try new spots esspecialy when the new spot turns out being a great spot!!! Makes me feel good when I find a new spot that is good. :)

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I guess you have to find that right mixture. I think that we tried too many different things this year, or at least too many diff places. it seemed like we went through a lot of crap, only to be finding ourselfves right back at the old reliable spots. :p

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I hear ya Zakk. Tryin new spots is good if they show that they are condusive to produceing fish. Fishin tidal water as I do dictates that I change areas when the tide does. I think the choice of where to fish is dependent upon what the indications such as structure,bottom contour and water flow are showin me. Before I give up on my usual haunts a new one better have everything I'm lookin for.

6. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    John 21:3-6
    3 "I'm going out to fish," Simon Peter told them, and they said, "We'll go with you." So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing.

4 Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus.

5 He called out to them, "Friends, haven't you any fish?"

"No," they answered.

6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some." When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.
    (from New International Version)

Sounds like the disciples got stuck in a rut with fishing habits. ;)

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats how many Shad or Skipjack I want in my net...... more than I can pull up!

8. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Moving to a new state and new area of the country , I found that it is exciting to discover new fishin' holes. I also have had to try new techniques to catch the old friend channels. At 67 years old it has been a shot in the arm for me. Some of the past tricks work here but I've had to learn to adapt others. Hope that I'll never be too old to learn change. The BOC members have all been helpful in this experiance. I'm so glad that I found this group of great people. BILL

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah like I said it's fun to try new spots and tactics. And it can diffently pay off too. ;) :)