Time fished before your first 20+

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigCatSteve, Feb 2, 2006.

1. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    I have been catfishing for about a year and a half and my biggest cat is a 15# flathead.
    Was wandering how you everyone fished before they got their first big cat??

2. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    im 23 and i caught my first 20+# fish when i was 22. i never knew how to catch or find the big ones. it was only through trial and error until i finally found out what it took. i wish i had this web site years ago, theres a lot of useful information. dont give up it'll be worth it.

3. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    My biggest is 24# I used to try and fish for them before with little sucess. I learned a few of the secrets from and "Old Salt". Now I seem to pick up alot of smaller ones. Still waiting for a 35-40 pounder.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I'm 40 yrs. young and have never caught a cat over 12 lbs. I do not target them, this may be why I've never got the big one. This year I plan to target the big boys. I'm still gonna fish for what bites, but on aleast one pole will be a Big Bait.

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    dont worry steve we will land a big boy this year

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Took me a year and my first over 20lb was 43lb blue cat, and thats my biggest so far. Then I caught alot in the 30lb range and below. It's just getting enough time on the water and using big bait. Oh and I like to use about 15 poles at a time to improve my chances.:)

7. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    it would suck if you got caught with the game warden with that many poles, or just say," Those are my friends poles" and start talking to imaginary people ;) :p

8. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
  9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ill be 40 this year and the biggest that I can think of that I have caught is 10lbs :sad: but this year Im going to double that:)

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Theres no law against it here that I know of.:)

11. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I caught the two (45lbs and 38 lbs) in my picture at the same time. I had to make sure one was hooked then put the pole in the pole holder, then bring in the other. I couldn't get the first fish out of the net! so I dropped the pole with the fish in the net, bite the line with my teeth to free the fish and then grabbed the net to land the other fish. It was just getting dark and for some reason I got paraniod about being out by myself, so I quit fishing. I kick myself everyday because after years of looking for the big ones when I finally found them it scared the hell out of me and I went home. Fishin is such a strange preoccupation!!!

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the first 20lb fish i caught i gave to my wife. she had been bass fishing with me and i decided to try catfishing. i baited the hook with herring and looked up at her and read her mind. im not going to bait that hook. so i handed her my rod and went to pick another and she said i got one.23lbs. it took me a year to catch one bigger.24lbs i guess i put her back in her place.....lol she still catches more than me but im the guide so thats the way it should be i guess...lol

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have fished all my life, and I am 37. During that time I was fishing for whatever was biting, unless I went out with a friend that was Crappie or Largemouth fishing. I could always catch a few 2-3 pound cats fishing from the bank or a friends pier as a kid.

Last May when I got my first boat, got back into fishing after 20 years away from it, and that is when the trouble started.

Once the boat was floating I decided to pursue big cats, and I figured that since I had a boat it would be easy. LOL! The first trip out was with the same frozen shrimp I had always used and some light weight rods and small hooks. All I caught were the same size cats I had caught bank and pier fishing like when I grew up.

I booked a trip with a local guide that was good at trolling for catfish. I KNEW NOTHING about trolling for catfish, so I learned a ton. Since then I have learned how to anchor up successfully and catch fish. I learned that small hooks and bait will catch all kinds of fish, but if you want the hogs you need to use big hooks and big bait.

I don't look at a 8/0 hook as an ocean hook anymore!

So, if take all the years I have been fishing, it has taken me around 30 years to take a 20+ pound cat. If you take the time that I have been seriously targeting them, then it is about 9 months.

Rodger Taylor from Rock Hill, SC has helped me a LOT! He has forgotten more about catfish than I know! I have a long way to go, and a ton to learn, but I am addicted to finding big cats and I am very blessed to have the time to hit the water a couple of times a week.

14. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    here in ohio we have a 2 pole limit

15. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    last year i didnt get started until june or july,this year im start this month or next,i plan on having one before summer then adding to my total the rest of the year

16. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Steve with the holes we have in this area and the pond producing this year, you have a great chance of landing a monster, and theres a couple of new spots around Hamilton i want to check out

17. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    well we also have my buddy from work thats gonna get us on the Ohio River on his boat,i plan on having one before that though

18. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Maybe one day this week i will take you down on 73 and show you that place and we can start hitting that

19. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    that sounds good to me anytime you want to go

20. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

What's a 20lb fish look like??? :crying:

Ray