tilt & trim ?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Randy, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas
    I'm thinking about a new motor, my 1978 Merc 50HP runs fine but I just don't trust it in a heavy current, You'll know what I mean. When I hit a sand bar my motor just raises up as I slide to a stop. I think tilt & trim is held in one position or can it pop up as well. Is a motor with just Tilt like the Merc 60HP 4 stroke free to pop up when striking something ?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Tilt and trim are two separate functions. Normally, a tilt and trim unit will hold the motor in position while in the trim mode, but this is only a few degrees from perpendicular. When your in the tilt mode, the force of the water moved by the prop can/will push the motor back down. The tilt function normally works when not under way. I would think the motor should still kick up when you hit an underwater obstruction like a log or sandbar.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    There is a way to lock them into place to prevent that but if it can't flop up when being struck it may just leave the whole lower unit in the river. When they strike an object below water something has to give.

4. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas
    Thanks for the help. The motor I'm looking at just has tilt no trim I'm thinking this might be better in the stumps and shallow water.

5. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    It's really benefical for your motor to kick up if it hits something especially if it hits bottom or logs going very fast. This is so you can keep boating and not have to start swimming, you can lock it in place but if hitting something with your motor is common, I wouldn't recommend it.

6. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas
    I don't want it locked down thats what I'm afraid of.