Tilt Trim on 95 Yamaha

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by catfishcentral, Jun 26, 2009.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Bubba,

Or anyone for that matter I'm trying to troubleshoot why my tilt trim all of the sudden quite working. Last Sunday we had the boat out and everything was working fine. When I loaded the boat I ramped the boat a little hard and hit the bow stop on the trailer. When I went to tilt the motor up the tilt trim all the sudden stopped working. I don't know if it just gave out or the bump of the boat on the trailer knocked something lose. Anyway I have a tilt trim switch on both the motor and throttle. Both switches would not work or make any sound. I manually lifted the motor up to put my transom saver on and took it home.

I've just had time to now look at it. I pushed the switch on the tilt trim and it worked for about 4 seconds and stopped. Now when I try to use the tilt trim switch it makes a loud click noise every time you push the tilt trim buttom. I can seem to find any lose wires or fuses out.

A few years ago I had my tilt trim relay go out and had to replace it about 100.00 I remember. I'm wondering if it's gone bad again and looking for any other possibilties or idea's.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    see below oops

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    A click could be a couple things, relay, selenoid, or even the motor (or possibly a fuse). I have found that the easiest way to test it, or atleast test the motor, is remove the 2 wires from the trim motor. Get a battery, and put lead on the positive terminal, and the other lead on the negative. Then reverse the wires on the terminals. The motor should trim up, then trim down once the leads are reversed. If the motor trims up and down easily you may have bad relays or bad selenoids.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Also check any fuses if you have any around the selenoids. I had a Johnson that blew an inline fuse and caused the same problem. But is was just a click, no intermittent function of the trim motor, if you are getting it to work for a few seconds then its not a fuse.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    That test can be done with a small, up to, an 18V rechargable type battery, from a cordless power tool:wink:

6. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Bob and Travis...I appreciate all your help guys.

Thanks

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, did you resolve the problem?

8. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    If it doesn't make any noise for up or down it is likely the fuse under the motors uh hood on the right side of engine. It is probably a black inline fuse holder with a glass tube fuse.

9. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I finally got time to look at it. No lose wires or fuses. I took relay off banged on it wired everthing back up and it's working again. Weird.:tounge_out:

10. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    My 98 Yamaha 40 does that if I let it set (sometimes just won't go down). I make it a point to run it up and down every week if I go out or not.

I am still a big Yamaha fan though

11. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Just save a bunch of trouble and buy a new relay, the contacts are burned inside it and it will fail for good some day:angry: get ya a relay and keep it in the boat!:wink:

good luck..............bill.