Tilt/Trim help!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Patmansc, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Gentlemens! I have a 16', '99 Cat Tracker (formerly known as BassTracker) with a 40hp Merc, and the tilt/trim has stopped working :crazy: The electric motor works, so the prob has got to be with the hydraulics. I took it to the shop for an estimate, and they wanted $970 to fixit :crazy: Anybody know of a more affordable shop/mechanic? Thank kew very much.

2. nick81

nick81 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    my mech. is in greenwood. he's quick and reasonable. It's fun time inc. it's about 1 mile past lees bbq before you go across the bridge where the exxon/subway is. he's name is mackey.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Tell us some more as to what the symptoms are. It may be you can get the repair parts at your local NAPA, Auto Zone, or other autmotive parts store. They all have marine catalogs. If we can give you a diagnsis, you may get it fixed for pennies. LOL Oh, by the way... don't take it to those mechanics again. You can probably buy a new unit for close to that price.

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I know it is silly to ask, but I have to...... Did you check the oil level?

5. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Thanks for the suggestions, Guys. Pop Pop & I checked the fluid level when we took out the electric motor to see if it was working, and it was full. The symptoms: When you press the tilt/trim, the electric motor engages but the engine does not move. I know nothing about hydraulics, but it seems like there in insufficient pressure to raise, lower the motor. There is no visible fluid leakage - maybe something is stuck in a hose?

6. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Pat,

I have a 40 merc on my CC boat that had the same symptoms. Unfortunately, my unit was a sealed unit and I had to replace the entire system. I found a late model 50 hp 4 stroke with a thrown rod and bought the tilt system for $300. A new pump was $716 from Merc, so I got it less than 1/2 price. You live in the Greer area, call T and T Boat Wrench in Boiling Springs. They are Merc certified and a lot cheaper than Holdens and others. There is also a used parts place near Pendleton that may have a tilt.

Steve

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I was in Greenville a couple weeks ago. If it had happened then, I could've met, and maybe assisted you.

Are you sure, nobody unscrewed the manual release. It's for raising and lowering by hand, in case the unit fails. It needs to be screwed in tight.

8. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a 1995 basstracker tx 17 with a 40hp mercury like you. I have had the same problem but I just got mine rebuilt for around $100. So I would call some of the good boat shops and see if they can rebuild it. I had mine rebuilt in Clarksville TN at BJ's boat shop last time (about 4 yrs ago) still going strong. Just a thought never said it was a good thought. Also I would check the oil level and make sure it is still topped off like it should be.

9. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Im sure you checked this but did the motor latch or lock down with the little latch on the right side of the motor some times they will latch and your trim and tilt motor cant lift it and you will think it not working right. ask me how i know....

10. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    On the side of the tilt unit there is an relief valve with an straight head screwdriver slot. That is there so you can manual raise the motor. make sure the valve is in the closed position. If it is. then there is orings on the valve that tend to crack and let the pressure bypass.

11. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Gentlemen, thank you very much for all of your suggestions! Our own Cutbait101, Mark Nabors, who is a boat mech, pm'ed me and I took my boat to him for a once-over. I'll fill y'all in on what the problem was once he is done wit'it! :big_smile: