tilt on my 40 hp. johnson is stuck in up and wont stop

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by big pappa, Jul 21, 2009.

1. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark
    i went to my shop this morning and my motor was tilting it'self ,, i fished last night and it worked fine...i pushed the down button and it made no difference ..i had to unhook the battery to make it stop,, what can i look for???? the buttons are good i checked them with a meter and they were working right!!!!! help please!!!!!

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it has the relays then unhook them and put them back in line one at a time and if it starts back then the relay is bad if it doesn't start back then I would say the up relay is bad.

3. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark
    i pulled them out, and put them back,,, same thing,, switched them around and same thing ( i would have thought it would have stuck in the down position) ( #s are the same same on relays ) you still think it is the relay?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The relays are what determines where the voltage will travel to get the motor in reverse to travel down. The buttons or toggle switch witch ever you have tells the relays what to do. Take the switch loose and should be three one will be hot other two leads to the relays for up and down. touch the down side to the hot and see if it works. If it does then switch is bad.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  5. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I had the same issue before. What I found was the tilt switch in the front of the boat had two wires touching. I would start there.

6. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark

you are the man!!!!!! thanks so much you have saved me a few bucks!!!! :big_smile:

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Anytime, Glad to help.