Tillt/trim problem

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by squirtspop, May 20, 2009.

1. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I have a 1996 75 HP Mariner on a bass boat. While in Texas last week it worked great for 3 days then it went SNAFU. If stopped dead in the water, it would raise and lower the motor perfectly but if moving any at all it would not raise the motor to trim out the boat. If you raised the motor before moving it would pull the motor back down. We pulled the boat out and checked the fluid level then drained. Got maybe a tablespoon out of it thru the plug hole. Added more fluid the tried again. Still the same results. Then we pulled the boat out and onto the trailer again, checked the plug on the side and it was tight. Loosened it then retightened. Put the boat back in the water again and took off. Worked good as new. That afternoon we went out to fish again and it was back to the same problem. It wouldn't raise the motor while underway.

Any suggestions?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Are you sure it is a tilt and trim, instead of just a tilt? The tilt feature will raise and lower the boat while basically at an idle of still in the water. But, if you raise the motor about 15 degrees and hit the throttle it will come back to the full down position.

I think the way you can tell is to have the unit in the full down position, then press the switch to tilt the motor and watch the lower unit. If it is a tilt, the speed the unit lifts is fairly constant. If it is a tilt and trim, it has an initial very slow raise until about 15 or 20 degrees, then it takes off.

Not wanting to insult your intelligence, believe me, but a lot of boaters do not know there is a difference between a tilt and a tilt and trim.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Well which ever it is when taking off the engine is in full down position and won't raise a bit. At a standstill, it will raise. If you raise it at a standstill then take off, the outboard will go down without pushing the button.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sounds to me as though it is a simple tilt, and not a tilt and trim. I purchased an after market one for my boat and thought all of them were tilt and trim. That's when I found out there was a difference. Thought the unit was kind of cheap, but you get what you pay for. It's okay though, as I seldom go barreling through shallow water. I just drive like I was on the highway. LOL

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Thanks for the advice.

I've been to 4 or 5 marina repair shops here in Arkansas and noone knows how to fix it. So I guess I'll have to do it myself. What parts will I need to get. I don't have a repair manual so I'll have to rely on what you tell me.

If you have access to a manual the following info is about the motor.

Mariner (supposed to be a 1996 model)
    75 HP
    Serial # 06226996
    single cylinder lift
    wire comes out the top of the tilt motor and is clamped on top (no part number can be found on it)

6. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    talk to bubba under the outboard section ,he works on boat motors for a living