Tillman County Oklahoma area?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by rudepossum, Aug 24, 2008.

1. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    We will be heading down to Frederick on Thursday for 4 or 5 days and was wondering what there is around their. Not finding very much on web search. I know we will be going to the Wichita mountains one of the days their and the Chisholm trail museum. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be great. We are camping at lake Frederick. We moved down their for a year when i was little, but don't remember much except for all the goat heads or what ever they are called. Whats the fishing like in Lake Frederick? Thanks

2. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I don't know about Lake Frederick at all. As for the Wichita Mountains Refuge, those lakes/dams were all built back during the WPA and CCC depression days. Quanah Parker has pretty much always historically had some pretty nice eatin channels caught in there. Jed Johnson's given up a few, too. I haven't been fishing out there in quite a few years. I've heard stories about some 'monsters' that were never landed but I don't know about that... doubtful to me. But I might just haveta go fishing out there again before too long just for old-times sake. Beautiful scenery out there, though.

3. rudepossum

State:
    Missouri
    I really appreciate the info guy's. Also my oldest is turning 17 on Saturday and would like to do something spacial for her. Any ides? Thanks again.

4. rudepossum

State:
    Missouri
    Thats what see should get me for all the volleyball and softball games I took her to $.lol. Acutely see is the more prissy one out of the 3. Thought about running over to Amarillo and see how much of the 72 ounce steak see can eat. Of course I get the left overs. Or take her up around Red Rock Canyon and let all 3 kids hoe some peanuts and Cotton like I did when I was a Youngun. Ah! good time's. I sure like the hat Mark. FourWinds: mind if I ask how long u have been around that area? Thanks guy's

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Forget fishing Lake Frederick. Yes, there can be some cats and croppie caught in there, but your best bet is to travel north of there, past Snyder and fish Tom Steed Lake. Much better catfishing, and they can be had from the bank usually. Right by the main boat ramp in the park, there's a big rocky outcropping. There's usually some channels to be had around there on Danny King's stinkbait or shad. If you've got a net you should be able to catch shad around the dock by the boatramp under the streetlight at night.

If that doesn't work out, go hit otter creek north of Tipton. There's generally a few lunker flatties hanging out in it, and it crosses the road in a few spots, making for some deep holes where it washes under the road. There's also a new wildlife management area north west of Tipton called Gist WMA. The North Fork of the red river runs through it. I fished it 2 summers ago & caught several decent blues on perch. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you any other info you need.

6. rudepossum

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info Jerrod. I really appreciate it. Hope u all have a gr8 Labor Day weekend.

7. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Hi David,

As for me and how long I've been around this area... well, I'm 55 and I was born and raised in Lawton, went to grade school, jr high, and sr high there. I ended up working concrete and having my own business there for about 4 yrs until late '79 when I moved to Houston, Tx just before Christmas of that year. Lotsa water under lotsa bridges, but anyway I ended up back here in Oklahoma in late '85 to early '86, don't remember exactly. Found a little quiet place out in the country East of Lawton and've been here ever since. So, basically, I've been around here a pretty good while.

I've never fished Lake Frederick and don't really know anyone that has. For that matter, I've never fished Tom Steed but I know several fellas that do and they all say it's pretty good fishin there, all-in-all. I've wanted to a time or two in the past but never got around to it, might have to over there before too long. Great info provided by Jerrod!

Here's a link to the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge: http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/oklahoma/wichitamountains/

Many geologists have claimed that they're the oldest mountians in the U.S. and that they used to stand as tall and grand as the Rockies. Some have claimed that they're some of the oldest in the world. I don't know, and actually nobody does in a factual sense.

But it's a nice, scenic area... the buffalo, prarie dogs... other wildlife. Take a drive up Mt. Scott... visit the Holy City. Maybe go through Medicine Park... lotsa quaint shops there... the Old Plantation is open again but I hear it's not like back when Rex & Grandma owned it... but it's supposed to be pretty good.

Maybe go to Meers on the North side of the Wichitas and visit the Country Store and try to eat a Meers-burger. Most people don't... they're pretty good size. I haven't been in the the Meers store in a couple of decades... but the Meers burgers way back when were almost the size of a dinner plate. They may've down sized em over the years, I don't know.

As for Lawton, it's about 100 thousand. Movie theaters, bowling, restaurants, etc like you find most anywhere else. There's no amusement park but one of the carnivals is it town this weekend at the Great Plains Colliseum.

Just some suggestions... most of all, I hope you and your family have a great time in whatever y'all decide to do!

Take care,
    Dave