Tillery Lake Fishing - 52 Pound Blue Catfishing

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CMJ, Jan 6, 2006.

1. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Fished Tillery this morning. Caught 5 blues and 1 channel. The channel was about 5 lbs. The blues were from 5 to 52 lbs. Yeah, thats not a miss print, I caught my first blue over 50 lbs this morning. He hit at about 9:20 a.m. He was a lot of fun. I finally got him in the net the 3rd time I got him up. It was nice until about 10:30 then the wind got up. The water temp was 46. Caught the fish in 37 ft of water.

2. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    CMJ

Nice mornings fishing. Hope to do that well some day.

3. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    CMJ, what time do you normally start fishing in the mornings?

4. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I usually get to the lake 45 minutes to an hour before daylight to catch bait.Then, as soon as I have enough bait I head out to the spot that I like to fish. Yesterday I started at about 7:30. I have caught good fish from daybreak up until 12 noon. Sometimes I will stay at the same spot all morning. I might go an hour without a good bite and then 3 rods go down within minutes all with nice fish.

5. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey CMJ, were you up the lake from the 24/27 bridge? I went last Saturday afternoon. Found big fish up the lake 24 to 38 feet deep but didn't get any bites because of a rigging experiment that didn't work. I plan to be at Tillery again early Monday morning. No rigging experiment this time.

6. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I was probably about 1 mile up the lake from the bridge. I usually fish the area between the bridge and mountain creek. I have done the best in 30 to 37 ft. I have also caught fish around the old bridge under water before you get to the 24/27 bridge. Let me know how you do.

7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey guys I went to Badin this morning and only caught some channels. Mostly fishing up river above the RxR bridge. I get two blues a 5 and 20lber drifting the shad shcools later in the day. My friend was at Tillery Sat and did pretty good he got about 12 blues. The biuggest was 32lbs. Fishing between 24/27 bridge and MT Creek. I'll probley head back up to the lake mid week. It's still going to be in the 60's.

8. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Hey guys, I fished Tillery Sat. also. I got 18 blues total. We fished in 26' of water just up from Mountain Creek in the main channel. Biggest ones were 1 @30 lbs, 1 @ 20 lbs. 2 @ 15 lbs. The rest were around 8-10 lbs. Also lost a fish that broke my 20 lb. leader before I got to it. I was fighting the 30 lb. fish when he hit. Plan on going back out sometime this week. later!!!

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Anyone mind if I tag along!!! You guys are kicking the snot out of them from my point of view...lol I haven't hung a cat in two weeks, I'm getting an itch. If it weren't a 4 hour drive for me to get up that way, and the lack of a boat right now, I'd be up there on any given weekend. I can't wait untill the boat is done being worked on so my buddy and I can start hitting better water. Yesterday we were fishing, couldn't get any cats to hit, but ended up catching more than 20 largemouth bass after getting bored. Three of them were over 10lbs, the biggest about 12. But no cats...what a bummer... :sad:

10. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    OK Guys you got my heart racing. I am going give it a try in morning. I have never fished Tillery but once before. Just getting back into fishing after few years off. I will post report when get back tomorrow. Thanks for the reports and fishing information.

11. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fished Tillery this morning. It took over 30 minutes to find some blues but once I got lines out the bites came quick. I caught one @ 24 lbs., two @ 18 lbs., two @ 12 lbs., one @ 9 lbs., three @ 8 lbs., one @ 6.5 lbs., one small channel, and one white perch that was almost 2 lbs. It took 2 hours before I got 5 lines in the water. Most fish were caught between 7:30 and 9:30.

12. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I also fished Tillery this morning but my story is not same. I never found fish at all. Never even got bite. Guess I need lessons. I fished from about 8:30 to 1:30 up and down from the 24/27 bridge.

Glad you had such good luck Bream Baiter.

13. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    jd sometime people have fantasies

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hello fisherman im new to the board. ive had good luck at tillery for the last couple of weeks. caught a 32, 26, and two 23 last weekend with a total catch of 26 blues for two days fishing. i fish out of a black/ silver lund. hope to see you at the lake.

15. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    If you don't mind would you share some details of the trip.
    Type bait. Did you anchor or drift. It's 90 mile drive for me so can't come often but I have Lowe 16' gray/blue faded.
    Thanks

16. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    jdwillis39 i was using shad for bait but i did have trouble finding it for some reason sunday. it seem to be in 15-20ft water too far down for the cast net for me anyways. i rode around looking for fish on my graph and then would anchor on them. ive been starting at 5.00 in the morning and fishing until 12 or 1. sunday i fished ahole for the first three hours and caught5 blues. so i moved at 10.30 and had agood bite for about a hour(caught 9 blues including the two 23lbers). the fish just moved. for some reason im not catching much for the first hour of light.try staying in the main channel remember they are like highways down there.

17. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks catfishrus
    I am learning to use the depth finder/ graphs but you can teach old dog new tricks just takes longer. I had some frozen shad and dip bait the other day but never did any good. I found few fish but never got them to bite.
    Good luck be looking for you on water.

18. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I do have to say this to Roundhill. Alot of people in the past have said the same thing until they see all the pictures of big cats. Let me get your email address and I send you all the pictures you want to see. Myself along with Rookie, Catfishrus and afew others on this board don't need to BS about fishing. If you people know of how many flatheads me and Catfishrus got this past fall you guys would be stunned. You would flat call us liers. It's all about being in the right palce at the right time and experience. You wait till Feb rolls in, thats when the real big cats start hitting. Trophy time.

19. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Tomahawk is right, its all about being at the right place at the right time and having some experience. You can learn a lot from boards like this but nothing is better than getting out there and learning. It starts with catching bait, that was my biggest problem and still is sometimes. Then you have to pay attention water temp, wind , current, etc. and sometimes you still don't catch fish. Once you learn what to look for you will catch them more times than not.

20. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    They speak the truth. I fished for about 6 months with little success for cats. Then I talked to Tomahawk and he steered me in the right direction. Boards like this are a real gift and you can learn a lot from them. Don't be afraid to ask questions, everybody has to learn from somewhere. It's all about putting it all together. Increase your chances by going on the best days, according to weather, wind, fronts moving thorugh, temp. get good bait and fish in prime areas for what you're fishing for that suits the conditions. With a little advice and some practice, anybody can do it. I'm proof of that. I've only catfished about a year and already fell like a pretty confident fisherman. Big thanks to Tomahawk. later!!