Tillery/ Falls Dam Report

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bream baiter, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Went to Tillery this morning. The bait was very scattered. They were on the surface in places but I could only catch a couple of good gizzard shad in one throw. Got about a dozen and headed up the lake. We couldn't find more than just a few fish in any spot. Even went up the river above Mountain Creek. I couldn't believe the lack of fish up there. Still plenty of trash in the water. I guess most of the Tillery fish must have moved down the lake because they sure weren't up the lake. We saw much less trash in the water on the way back down the lake but there wasn't any noticeable current. Not sure what happened to it. We went to Badin and got plenty of bait then went to fish Falls Dam. At Falls we immediately found a bunch of big fish and set up on them but they had lockjaw. Never got a bite. This weather has the fish all messed up. All three lakes are stained.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sounds like last year on tournament day. no current, overcast, and cold front moving in equals a low weigh in. not normal for either one of them lakes. thanks for the report

3. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like my luck!

4. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have had bad weather days the last two trips. This cold weather scattered the gizzard shad and made lots of them suspend farther off the bottom. I guess the lower end of Tillery must be holding most of the blues now since we couldn't find them up the lake. At Falls Dam, the blues were scarce on the lower end where I normally find them so they must have gone up the lake. I have 6 days of vacation to take before the week of Christmas. Hopefully I'll have some good weather. I may fish in SC some since the Yadkin lakes are messed up right now.

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    there was a ton of bait in the cove last week. i was catching it with a 7ft net after 8.00 which is not normal. it was turning my graph black. the stained water dont bother them blues that i can tell. another thing that might have hurt you was the full moon last night. currnet is a big factor with all three of them lakes.

6. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The water needs to drop a bit at falls. Then you can catch them in deep water.

7. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    There definitely was not enough bait there yesterday to turn a graph black. The shad were coming to the surface until 9 or 10:00. They were just spread out. It was frustrating because I was throwing a heavy 8 ft. net. I should have been catching more shad with a net that big. If I had it to do over again, I would go look in Jacob's Creek for shad a little deeper. I don't like fishing close to the full moon but I fish when I get the opportunity. I've only fished 3 times in the last couple of months and had bad weather conditions the last two times. I think the sudden cold weather is what messed them up more than anything.