Tillery, 3-28

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CMJ, Mar 28, 2006.

1. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I fished Tillery again this morning. I caught 8 blues from 8 to 19 lbs. and 1 small channel. I was achored in 26 ft of water up river. They started moving water at about 7:20 am. I also caught a few small white perch. Its a good thing that I did because I only had about a dozen shad. They were hard to come by this morning. Those perch make good bait.

2. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the report. I am fishing Moultrie the month of April. Internet access going to slow up lot here after Friday while we at the lake.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sound like you had good morning jeff. did you mark much bait in the cove? i see them sometimes in deeper water and just cannot catch them in the castnet. ive been throwing a 6ft net but i dont know if you could catch them in 8ft when they are down below ten ft. i noticed last week when we got that cold snap that the bait went deeper at badin on thrusday morning. then friday evening there was plenty shallow but farther down the lake. good catch

4. Mpayne

Mpayne New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Way to go Jeff, Glade you had a chance to get out on the lake. Did they start hitting the bait right away or did you have to wait a while before the action started. I was down in Florida this past weekend and it was cold and windy. Lots of good looking water, but no time to fish.........

Mark

5. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    Hey guys,

I have several different size nets that I use. The answer to your question is yes a bigger net will catch deeper bait. There are three factors in this, surface area of the net, mesh size, and weight.

First off, going from a 6' to an 8', to a 10', means a lot of difference in surface area. Although a 2' increase in radius from a 6' to 8' does not sound like much, it is a huge difference in size. Using the equation pi x radius squared, a 6' net has a surface area of 113 sqft and an 8' net has a surface area of 201 sqft, or 178% of the surface area of the 6' net. Going to a 10' net yields a surface area of 314 sqft which is almost 3x the sixe of the 6' net.

The other two factors work together. Most commercial nets are 3/8" mesh and about 3/4 lb per radius foot (so a 6' net woud weigh about 4.5 lbs). By going to a larger mesh 1/2" and a weight of 1-1.5 lbs per foot, you can reduce the drag on the net as it falls, and increase the rate of fall in the water.

These nets usually cost a good bit more, but when bait is deep, it can be worth it. I usually only use my good nets in open, deep water where there is little chance of snagging. It is wise to learn how to mend the nets though.

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If a net has a lot of drag on it, it will also cause it to close up a little while sinking through deeper than the net is tall. Which I've discovered makes it really hard to catch bait, when bait is fairly scattered and deep.

7. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Have any of you guys ever tryed a shad trowel. I ordered 1 from catfish connection. i haven't used it yet , but the directions say that you jusrt pull it be hind the boat at 5-10 mph.

8. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    Net drag will be less with the larger mesh. There is much less material on a 1/2" or 5/8" mesh than on a 3/8" mesh. Yes there will be some closure on the way down, but if you start out with 200-300 sqft of net vs 113 sqft of net you will still have a decent size as the net sinks. I have caught shad in 20' of water when they were holding on the bottom. There are also times when the bait is thick at 13'-15', and if you can get a good throw, and let it sink, you can catch bait.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mhendrick have noticed any difference as far using colored cast nets. like the blue or camo. i ve always used the the clear mono ones from walmart 1/2 mess. i did try a 8 ft with the 3/8 mess and caught shad in less than 10ft but those little 1-2inch shad just stick in the mess too bad. i going to get a good one but bps in concord only has the blue ones that i saw around 50.00 bucks. thanks for the information.

10. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I started fishing at about 6:30 and caught the first fish at 6:45. Didn't catch any more until the current started at 7:20. I did mark some bait on out toward the end of the cove but they were too deep for me to catch. They were in 25 to 30 ft. I'm not good at catching deep bait either. Good luck on your trip JD.

11. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Hey Beaufort, Let us know how the shad trowel works. I have not seen one before. How is it made?

12. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey guys, you should look for bait near the mouth of the boat ramp creek. Just follow middle of the boat ramp creek until you need to make a 90 degree turn to go to the middle of the mouth of the creek. Look around that whole area. There will be shad somewhere around there if they aren't near the little bridge. Yes, they probably will be 20 feet deep or more but they can be caught. I forgot if my net is 6 or 7 feet but I let it sink all the way to the bottom after seeing the shad on the depthfinder directly under the transducer and then moving the boat a little so I can throw on top of them. I have caught 2 dozen in one throw plenty of times doing this. Water depth was 24 feet. Just be careful not to throw on a brush pile. As for the color of net, I went to a seminar by a striper guide in January who said it can make a huge difference. He said he has two nets - same brand, size and weight. One is camo the other is clear. He threw the clear net and the camo net one day at the same spot and usually caught at least 5 to 6 times as many shad in the camo net as he did the clear net. I got some dark green RIT dye from the grocery store and dyed mine to look about like faded green mono. line. It only took about 20 seconds using less than half of the bag of dye in 2 gallons of water.

13. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey guys,
    I'm new to the site and was wondering where are some good locations to catfish in Lake Tillery? I usually put in at Lilly's Bridge and go toward the bridge a couply miles away. Should I be fishing at the dam or what? Thanks!

14. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    Most of my nets are clear mono. I do have a few cheap nets that are dark blue, but I use those when the shad are in the rocks. I just recently bought a Lee Fisher Bait Buster 10' 1/2" mesh that is green. I have not even used it yet. These are used mostly for catching bait at the coast. I know a sales rep and can get really good deals on them.

The link below is to bait buster and it shows the green mesh and it shows the difference in all the mesh sizes.

http://www.justcastnets.com/about.php?page=baitbuster

Just a note, I fished High Rock this morning and all the bait I got was on the bottom in 12' of water. They were scattered and holding tight to the bottom. I was using an 8' 3/8" Calusa net.

We caught about 20 channels with the biggest being 10.5lb

15. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    Catfishrus,

Forgot to mention, The small shad will go on through a 1/2" mesh whereas they get "gilled" in the 3/8".

16. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mhendrick that calusa net and bait close to the bottom makes me draw up a little...lol. i guess if the net makes it to the bottom you got a half of a chance to get it back. its when it goes half way down and stops that hurts. ive already lost three nets that i couldnt fix this year but going to try the good ones now. nothing more aggrivating than going fishing and cannot get fresh bait.

17. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well i just bought a 10ft cast net tonight.129 bucks. i got it figured out. you throw it and dont look back...lol. i will let you guys know that dont have one, how it works. i threw it a couple times in the yard and it dont seem to be too bad but it is a little on the heavy side but hopfully it will be worth it when the bait goes deep. it is 1.5lbs per foot.

18. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    You should have let me know you wanted a 10' net, I could have saved you $40.

19. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i will remember that. do you get them local or order them? im going to need another for sure. i just havent found the crappie brushpile yet.

20. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC