Tiller or console

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Rootwad, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    I am looking for a new/used boat. I want to purchase a Lowe Big John 16 footer or simliar style of boat. I own a 25 h.p. tiller motor. Some people say that I should get a console style boat, that I would be more happier. I have no console controls with my motor.

Question: How many of you member use a Tiller style over a console style boat. Also can I convert my motor to a console style or should I sell it and buy a package boat and motor?

If you know anyone in the K.C. area that has a boat like discribed above let me know. Thanks.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Of course it is just opinion, but with the boat your looking for, a tiller motor is probably the best. You don't want to tie all the space up with a center console, and you all ready have the motor. I'd stay with it.

3. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    I perfer tillers but as Awshucks said its all a matter of opinion. In smaller boats the console takes up alot of room. Good luck in your boat search.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Bob, I think I would stay with the tiller Motor. I run a 18ft. lund alasken with a tiller and I JUST love it,Lots more Room to move around in the Boat.And that 25hp. will push the 16ft. flat Just Fine.JMHO Good Luck J.D.
    :0a26: :byebye:

5. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I run a 40 Yamaha tiller on my 17' Xpress.Consoles take up too much room unless you own a 20' + boat.

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    On that size boat, the tiller motor will open up a lot more space for fishing.

7. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    To all who replied, again I thank you. It looks like everyone is in favor of the tiller type boat for the size. Good! The old 25 h.p. Johnson that I have runs good and it's paid for. Now I know what I want, I just have to find it.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I was wondering about the same things thanks GUys

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If your motor has a 15" shaft. It may make it hard to find the right boat.
    But I also like a tiller boat.
    I have both now. And may in a year or so sell them both. War-Eagle 2072-SLDV and the 17'7" tiller war-ealge and get a 20ft tiller boat.
    Pete

10. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bob

I had a Lowe 1648 tiller with a 25 hp johnson I ran on the Missouri for many years. It was a great boat. Nimble enough to work trot lines and still got me where I wanted to go. Lowe also builds a 1652 that is a little wider but I dont know if it will take a 15 inch shaft moter if that is what you have. One big bennifit of the rig was no matter how bad the boat ramp was I always made it on the water. That is a big deal these days with the lower water levels. The tiller is the way to go man on a boat that size.

11. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bob

I just noticed you are from Platte City. I might be your neighbor.

12. tbones23

tbones23 New Member

State:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I would stick w/ the tiller motor on that boat especially since you already have it. A console would take up way too much room and you'll need that to haul in those big cats on the Missouri!!

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For most people, a tiller will be their best bet. I've got a 16' Lowe 1648 Bigjon with a 25hp tiller on it, but I wish I had a 40hp with a console. I find that after a day of twisting back and forth running the tiller outboard, my back is absolutely killing me. I have plans to remove the bench back seat and replace it with swivel seats in hopes that they will be easier on my back. IMO, a side console doesn't take up that much extra room, but a center console does. And 40hp would just handle a maximum load better than the 25.

14. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    Thanks again to all that has answered my question. It is unanamious, tiller is the all time favorite for a 16 foot boat.....

MORiver I might be your neighbor. I live where the Little Platte meets the Big Platte. That is why I want to stay with a 16 footer so I can use it on the Platte River and the Missouri.