Tiller handle kit for 1989 30HP Johnson?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Rob Heflin, May 2, 2007.

1. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I've had problems with the cable in the past and made do. Now my kill switch button broke off and there's no way to keep it running. Where can I find a tiller handle kit?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Thanks, Mr. King. Looks like they are most proud of that stop switch.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I new one ordered from a dealer is 90.00. I replaced two last week

If you don't mind drilling a hole in your cowling, you could just mount a toggle switch, and rig a stop lanyard to it for safety purposes.

All it is, are two wires going to it. a black with a yellow tracer line, and a black going to ground, your kill switch connects it all to ground when the lanyard is pulled loose. Putting in the lanyayrd stop clip, disconnects the power pack from ground. The same thing can be done by running those two wires to a toggle switch, and it's a whole lot easier than installing one of them in a tiller.

BTW, the older small hp Mercs have a toggle swith on them, that does just what I explained.

4. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Thank you both for the advice. I ordered the factory kill switch and got it installed Friday. Took me longer to get those tiny little clips to stay on the wire than it did to do all of the rest!

Somehow I got 3 of the same twist grips in for my motor. Emailed ishop marine and they are paying for the shipping back to them as well as refunding the amount for the 2 extra. Good service.

Thanks,
    Rob

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thanks for the follow up Rob. Its always good to hear if a problem has been solved.
    Yes that company is a little pricey but does have good service.