Tilapia

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Larry69, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Larry69

Larry69 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Previously I posted in the bass section about bass busting shad every night in the lake I live on. After not much luck in catching any of them, the other night I decided to take out the cast net and see how many of these shad I could net. Threw it out and despite seeing several shad jump out of the water to avoid the net, I didn't get any of them in the net. But I did get a nice 1.75-2 lb. tilapia in the net on my first cast. Sent the kids in to get the floating fish basket, threw him in there and hoped I could catch another to have enough for dinner. I'd already caught 4 or 5 smaller catfish I was going to eat but I'd rather have tilapia. So, went up and down the shore, spending about 45 minutes total and ended up with 6 good sized tilapia. Strangely, I've never netted a small tilapia, maybe they live out farther from shore.

Having enough tilapia, I let the catfish go. Cleaned up the tilapia and fried them up catfish style. Had enough for a couple nights dinner. Going to try broiled in foil with butter, lemon juice and capers next time I get a few.

Does anyone go after these fish on a regular basis? I was wondering if they are always going to be easier to net at night as opposed to daylight hours? I tried the other day right before dark and didn't get anything, of course, I also tried after dark and still didn't get anything so maybe they just weren't there. Does the chumming for them really work and if so, what is the best chum? Anyone ever try oatmeal? I'd also enjoy catching some on hook and line if possible.

Will post some pics of the catch later.

I did also net a large shad that I didn't even know we had..but I guess if we've got little ones, there's always the possibility of larger ones. It was about 12". I threw him in the freezer and took him to the beach for bait the next day. :smile2:

p.s. According to the FWC site, I can assume they were blue tilapia, so no need to kill them right away. Who's going to argue with the FWC? :wink:

In central Florida, anglers can assume every tilapia they observe in fresh water is a blue, and any tilapia over 3 pounds is also likely a blue tilapia.