Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out today to fish and notices lots of big tilapia around the shore,they are very scared when you get near them and wont bite anything you put out there. Anyone know a way to catch these?
Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Im not sure what lure/bait they will take. But i heard some people that catch fish in meadow streams are stealthy (like crawling on the shoreline instead of walking). Maybe you should try a stealthy approach.

Welcome to the BOC ad Good luck!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I caught a 3.2 # tilapia on a lure but it was a snag on accident in Arizona this guy thought I had the state record but was about 3# off. I have caught tilapia on nightcrawler before and it was not a snag. Also the 3.2# tilapia whole mouth was full of fish eggs.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I caught a 3.2 # tilapia on a lure but it was a snag on accident in Arizona this guy thought I had the state record but was about 3# off. I have caught tilapia on nightcrawler before and it was not a snag. Also the 3.2# tilapia whole mouth was full of fish eggs.
Tilapia are mouth brooders. They keep their own eggs in their mouths untill they hatch. They are also primarily vegitarians, but have been known to hit worms. Carrots, peas, and dough baits should also work though.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
i catch them all of the time out here in AZ on crawlers.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
ain't that a coincidence rupert? i heard they hit real well on a cast net when they spawn! :big_smile:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.