Tilapia-Great Meat

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by rednecksportsman511, Feb 12, 2006.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    I just ate some store-bought tilapia fillets which my mom broiled with nothing but seasoning and Pam no-stick spray. That is one of the best meals I ever had-the meat is light, tender, and almost sweet. In a 3.5g serving (about two fillets) there's just one gram of fat, and only half of it is the unhealthy saturated kind. This fish is one of the best fish I've ever had.

Moral of the story:if you're looking for a great-tasting, easy to prepare, and healthy meal, give tilapia a try. If you like fish (if not, hy are you here? lol), I gaurantee you'll like it.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    oh yeah, talapia is dynamite! thankfully its getting cheaper, they must be farm raising it or something. its about the same price as whiting now!

3. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    if im not mistaken i think they have tilapia farms in florida now.
    -dang, man those are some pretty mean bruises u got there! musta been one mean catfish! :)

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    got jumped by a gang of cockroaches.....:D

5. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    All the tilapia you can eat and then some in Calaveras lake south of San Antonio Texas. Introduced as baitfish, try to use smaller ones up to three inches great for fresh water red drum, or use gut from larger ones , this will attract large cats geranteed. Tilapia is harvested by semi-commercial fisherman in our area the going rate is two dollars a fish,they can catch around 150 on a good day. If you can find these guys trade them sodas or just about anything for the guts, three sodas and they gave me two gallons of it. I have caught eight mature talapia in two hours of net casting, this is the easiest way to catch them. If you catch them you should gut them right away , state rules, that works for me use the gut, eat the meat. Long live the B.O.C.

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    I recently tried telapia too; excellent taste. I bought it from one of those you buy we fry fish markets.
    What is a good bait for telapia. Out this way, there are telapia in the Salton sea and the Colorado river. Funny thing is I was mentioning to the guys I would not mind bringing home som telapia fillets.

Jaime

7. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    I have heard that you can catch them on worms, never tried it. Watch for bubbles near grassy banks also have seen them eating the crud off the side of sunken logs but dont get your net snagged on em. its more like hunting than fishing, good thing is your partner can't accidentally shoot you.

8. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Talapia is one of my favorite seafoods. Went deepsea fishing once and caught some amberjack. Grilled it w/ butter and some seasonings. That was the best fish I ever had.

9. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I also think that tilapia is a great tasting fish!! While I like to fry crappie & cat fillets, you can broil or grill tilapia with just basic seasoning & maybe a little olive oil and it always tastes great. Serve up with a little rice and yum! Wish they would stock 'em around here :rolleyes:

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Tilapia is a great fish! We eat it around here all the time. It's also one of the less expensive fish around here, but you wouldnt know it by the taste!

11. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    There is a lake not far from me that's FUll of them. You can net or snag them all day long. I was thinking about using them for catfish bait.LOL

12. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    Tilapia is great tasting. Kind of like a bluegill: light, flaky, sweet. (However, it doesn't taste grassy like some bluegill from a highly vegetative lake.) Although my family don't like it (but loves bluegill). I know we all have tried the farm raised tilapia at the store. However, some places are carrying tilapia to stock at your pond now (not just in Floridia). Here in Iowa, there is actually a few private hatcheries that raise tilapia to stock in your farm ponds. If Iowa has it, I am sure some other private hatcheries across the nation have them as well. Tilapia is a lot like a bluegill (it might even be in the sunfish family, but I am not going to look this up); however, it comes from Africa. As more and more people try it and like it, then we may start seeing it around in our ponds and lakes. Maybe the state will stock it, or maybe some private pond owners with Tilapia in their ponds will transfer the fish to public lakes/streams. (I just hope the state steps in, does research, and learns if the Tilapia destorys the ecosystem first, and they make it illegal to stock if it does, or stocking it if it doesn't have a huge impact.)

I would recommend to anyone to at least give it a try. You might like it alot.

13. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
  14. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    I heard live telapia makes excellent flathead bait If it works for flathead, it must be excellent as cut bait for channels.

Jaime

15. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I believe they are also called St John's fish. They farm raise them even in Kansas. One feedlot built tanks. Not sure if they still are, but they did. Great tasting. I even stir-fry them with fresh vegies and garlic. MMM MMM good

16. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    Tilapia= My least favorite fish to eat. My mom used to fix it all the time for my sisters but now they are gone at college THANK GOD

17. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
  18. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    Ahh! The circle of life! Anyway, aren't they afraid that if the fish aren't properly cleaned, E. coli could still be stuck to the fish. Also, is there any parasites that can be transmited from human waste to tilapia to human like with some other fish. I mean Mars is an awful long way from any hospital.

19. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    oh yea bro talapia is amazing... My mom is more frequtnly buying it now thank the lord for that...
    JOe