Tightlining question

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by Mccallister25, May 31, 2020.

1. Mccallister25

Mccallister25 Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Zach
    Just a really quick simple question for you guys. When tightlining with a slip rig, is it better to let the bait sit with an actual tight line.. zero slack, or leave just a tiny amount of slack?

2. Khh27

Khh27 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    I tight line

ramon06 and Nuclear Bill like this.

3. Mccallister25

Mccallister25 Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Zach
    Thanks for the quick reply. I do the same, I was just curious. On my non bait runner reels, I’ll cast out and let the bait sink and reel up all slack. It just makes me wonder if when the fish takes the bait how often they can feel weight on the line. I guess technically it wouldn’t matter if there was slack in the line or not.

ramon06 and Nuclear Bill like this.
  4. Nuclear Bill

Nuclear Bill Well-Known Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Bill
    I've been told that catfish will drop the bait if they feel the weight. I've had fish drop the bait but no real reason. I was told to leave slack in the line if using circle hooks. I've done both ( tight and slack) both work. I prefer tight. If the fish swims towards me I get slack and watch it closely.

Bobbycat and ramon06 like this.
  5. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Ramon
  6. Tommy Dean

Tommy Dean Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Tommy dean
  7. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
  8. Mitchell3006

Mitchell3006 Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Mark Mitchell
    I prefer tight. Never have heard to leave slack.

Bobbycat and Nuclear Bill like this.
  9. Bobbycat

Bobbycat Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Bob
    No big difference for me. Good size cats hit baits as a truck. But I always use a tight line if I fish species with gentle biting.

P.S. Little slack works for me if I use Kentucky rig and put one or two hooks on the bottom.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  10. SPAZ182

SPAZ182 Active Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Chad
    Tight! I will say that loose is fine too, but it's more about consistency. We're not finesse fishermen. As catfishermen that is. If you've ever heard of a jug-line, a diddy-pole, at trot line, etc., you would know that most cats don't care about tension. Especially at night. In the dark. With a big healthy bait in front of their face. The problem with hook-ups I have found over the years have been from inconsistent tension. Clickers can seem to scare them. Picking a rod up and dropping it can spook them. Etc., etc.. Any inconsistency seems to be the problem. I could be wrong... But, that's just my impression.

Peace,
    Chad

11. Danny Hicks

Danny Hicks New Member

Name:
    Danny Hicks

12. Danny Hicks

Danny Hicks New Member

Name:
    Danny Hicks
  13. JCJowers

JCJowers Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Name:
    James Jowers
    I agree with all of the above as far as a tight line, but there is some gray area depending on how the fish are acting and how much brush/structure you have a chance for your bait to hang up on. Live bait, most definitely tight line with a decent leader. Cut bait in current, you could always let it move a little for the action.

I’ve even got one spot I fish in an outside bend of the Red River that has so much on the bottom I don’t even use a leader sometimes. Losing too many good hooks!

Bobbycat likes this.
  14. Mccallister25

Mccallister25 Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Zach
    pretty dang

kemetek1 likes this.
  15. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I have always felt it was better to fish with somewhat of a tight line. But the term tight line s relative. If your in a boat and it is swaying back and forth, it becomes even more relative. If you have some slack in your line and a big blue tries to yank the rod out of the boat you will probably notice. If a flathead gives you a constant pull and the slack line goes straight, you should notice. If something small id pecking on your bait and it can't be noticed by looking at the rod,,,,who cares, your fishing.

BCT, Bobbycat, eastforker and 2 others like this.
  16. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Slack lines could end up being swallowed hooks.

Mono always seems to have a little more slack than braid.

Bobbycat likes this.