Tightening reel to rod problems!!!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by BoxxerBoyDrew, May 8, 2008.

1. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Hey Everyone,

My Son just swapped rod and reels with a buddy of his, and it was a good trade, except the tightening ring for the reel seems to be somewhat striped. It is a Shimano Solara 6'6" Spinning rod with a Shimano AX2500FB Spinning reel. It will tighten most of the way, but if you try to tighten it to where the reel will stop barley wiggling it loosens up again.

So I tried to put tape around the reel foot to see if it would tighten all the way down, but it is still a little loose. So I was wondering if anyone knows any tricks to fix the problem, other than gluing the reel to the rod? I have PLENTY of West System Epoxy to permanently bond the 2 together, but I want to do that as my last resort!

Thanks for any help Ya'll can provide!!
    Andy

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Many already know this.I always go into detail for those who are not familiar with or like me have trouble with things at times.

We all have seen the TIES that the police use for extra handcuffs.This is the same thing.You may have seen them holding reels to rods in rigs meant to be sold together in stores.They come in many assorted sizes and colors.

The PLASTIC or NYLON wire/cable ties used to attach electrical wiring is what I have used for many years.I criss-cross one on closed and open faced spinning reel seats and it is clamping both feet with one.On bait casters I go through the reel under the spool and line.I often criss crossed these with two large ones on huge saltwater reels.I even did this with the large Penn Saltwater Reels.It must be pulled TIGHT!!!I use a small pair of "duck bill" pliers and a pair of "needle nose or regular pliers".You will have to experiment a little to get it right and the connection joint in the right place for comfort.These will also hold a loose guide if it is the type that you can get it on it.

A electrician friend or auto mechanic who does wiring may have a tool to tighten them.

Size of and the material of the wire tie is important!It must be long enough to go twice around the rod with all types of spinning reels.I have a assortment of sizes that comes in a container.They will do rigs from ultra lites to the largest off shore reels.Most hardware,building,auto parts and electrical stores carry wire ties.Discount stores are cheaper.I have seen them in wal-Mart and K-Mart in years past.

Now.I have been doing all of my rigs for many years with these before ever using them.Many rods fit into a insert into the handle.This can break at the front of the reel seat and your reel goes into the water with your rod.Also it is a safety device for a loose or broken reel seat.

For those unfamiliar with them,I am saying the following.For the purpose of seeing the kind of assortment that I buy for this,you can pull them up on line.As I said,they can be bought most anywhere.

I use a pair of large nail clippers to clip off the unwanted end after tightening and to cut them to remove the reel.

Make sure your reel is in the right place before tightening a wire tie!If you have it tightened right.It will not move.I insert the reel and tighten my reel seats before using and tightening the wire ties.I then loosen them to check and be sure that the reel will not move before clipping the loose end.

Hope this solves your problem.Unlike epoxies,this can be removed easily.Also,if it ain't right,you just cut it off and go again!It makes it easy to swap reels and rods on the water!

Now for the bad part.Rare type of reel seat.It will not work on some rods that I have seen with a recess for the reel feet unless you use shims.You have to cut/make shims out of metal,a plastic bottle or jug to go under the reel feet in the grove to raise them to make it fit.Some types of plastic will deteriorate with time.Aluminum foil works good for most fresh water.Where your water PH is abnormal,it will corrode aluminum foil.Stainless steel banding material works great if it fits.Stainless roofing flashing can be cut to fit perfect and last in all conditions and water.Just be careful of sharp edges with all metal.Most roofers will give you or sell you a small piece of flashing.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

3. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    You might try making a shim from an old bicycle inner tube. The idea is that you split the tube open and trace the outline of the reel foot on the tube. Cut that out and put it under the foot. With any luck, that'll be enough to allow you to tighten things.

-- Rich

4. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Thanks for the help Guys!!!!! :big_smile: I thought of using a zip tie, but I was unsure if that would bother my Son ( sticking up) while fishing with it, as we use our spinning reels ALOT around this time of year! I used masking tape to try to shim it up some, and it did help, but the lock/tightening ring still strips and goes back t loose before it is tight enough to stay still!:sad2: I used to be a certified Car Audio Installer, so I have PLENTY of "zip Ties" to mess with, so I will try it out tonight!

THANKYOU AGAIN!!!!!!:wink:
    Andy

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i cant say for sure on your type but try this if ya dont want the tie pokin up.

unscrew the reel ring all the way back. like the first pic shows. then set the reel tight into the seat of stationary side. pic 2.

wrap some electrical tape around foot and very tightly into the threads of rod three four wraps. this will hold reel for a min while you tighten up. like pic 3.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    then tighten the reel nut. this made mine very snug. may need to use a set of channel locks to gently snug tight. then warp the nut onto threads with 6-7 wraps of elect tape. this should make a sleek fix and is also removable. like pic1

and for added security you could wrap the ties too. pic2

hope this helps.:wink:

7. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    COOL DEAL!! I will give it a try!!!

Thanks Again!
    Andy

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    let us know how it works for ya. hope we gave some advice that helps.:big_smile:

9. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Well THANKYOU ALL for the HELP!!!!!:0a31: I wound up using a Zip Tie to tighten it up GOOD!!!! I was out of electrical tape, so I tried using Teflon Tape to tighten up the threads, and it helped a little, but the zip tie really works GREAT!!!! I was able to put the lock end of the tie to where it fits between my fingers and palm, so it causes NO funny feel to the grip!

So THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!

Take Care and GREAT FISHING!!!
    Andy

10. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas

that what i do to BUT MAKE SURE THE ZIP TIE is not in the way where you will hit it with your hand!!! them buggers hurt if put on in the srong spot or the "tie" is in bad spot, make sure it placed where comfortable and out of way