Tight or loose line

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by brand270, Aug 2, 2009.

1. brand270

brand270 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just wondering if any of you have your line tight or loose in the water? I know that catfish like to run with the bait and didn't know if maybe you need to give them a little running room or not.

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    personally all my reels have bait clickers and if im not fishing with a float its easy to keep them tighter. however, what i do is i will get my line fairly close then engage the clicker and press the bail. at that point i work the line back with my thumb until it is snug but not tight. then when the fish want to run it can and i wont loose my pole.

good luck to ya.

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I use a carolina rid when tight lining that way the line will slide through the wieght and bend the pole on the run . Plus I am a big believer in if the fish feels the wieght he will let it go and just nip at the bait . When I fish cut bait while tight lining I let my line hang just a little and use a long leader . When using stink bait or dip I only use a 12 to 16 inch leader .

4. festus

festus New Member

For night fishing from shore in calm water, I use spinning tackle because it's doesn't backlash, no weight. I flip the bail open and let the fish run with my cut bluegill. If I use my big Zebco 808 Hawg, I'll Carolina Rig it with tight line and hit my bait alert switch. If the water isn't calm, I use the Carolina Rig on all my poles with tight line. In daytime I prefer using a couple of Ambassadeur baitcasters with tight line and bait alert on.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    depends on the hook im using.circle hook i keep it tight but with kahles and j hooks ill leave a little slack.

6. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    It all depends on the hook I'm using . Circle tight , J hook loose with the bait clicker on ... :wink::big_smile:

7. brand270

brand270 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats great info guys, I will try the Carolina Rig, and try using some longer leaders.

8. fishfever

fishfever New Member

State:
    ky
    If I'm fishing on the bottom, I'll hold my pole and keep a finger on the line to feel the bite. To me, its the best way to go if you're fishing on the bottom or fishing at night.

9. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    i like a tight line and no clicker till nite time then i put the clicker on so i can hear the bite

10. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Always tightline with bottom rigs. Bobbers can be left a little loose.:wink:

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I usually use a carolina rig with a circle hook. My line can be loose or tight, usually not too tight, a little slack. The big fish can swallow the bait and hook, but they will eventually get hooked. The smaller fish can keep eating until they get the hook in their mouth and move off. A little slack seems good for me, not too much tho. A line that is too tight seems to miss them.

12. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i like it tight. i wanna see that rod tip bounce atime or two then bend as it runs.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I mainly use circle hooks, so my line is always tight.

On the rare occasion that I use clickers I still keep my line tight, I want that clicker to sound off right away.

Plus I fish rivers with current, it is pretty hard to keep slack in your lines with current.

14. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm a firm believer in a little slack. If my line moves, I can see it. But then again, I sit on top of my poles at all times, lol. Once the line goes tight, then BAM fish on!!!