Tight line?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Dec 17, 2006.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have always tight line for catfish and have always caught cats, but I am wondering should I try drifting my line to where the cats are by letting the line stay lose?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If I am fishing in a lake are no current I like to leave a little slack in my line. About 6-8 inches. Are use my clickers, depending on the bait I am using. In a river are creek I like a tight line. I guess you would be fine depending on where you are fishing. I never got the knack for it but, my brother, uses a slip rig and floats his bait into snags and then drops his lead to the bottom when it gets where he wants it. I never could you have to feed the line to let the bobber drift into the snag but not so much that the bait gets to the bottom before it is in place.

3. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I fish the Falls of the Ohio here and in the swift water we use bobbers letting them float in the current which is quite fast coming out of the dam. just remember too much slack and you might miss the hookset.

4. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I mostley use fresh live or cut bait,So I like to keep a tight line with the clicker on waiting for that wonderfull sound ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!! O-Yah baby thats what Im talking about!!!

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You all are correct. There is atime that any one of these methods will out perform the other. The fish will tell you the one they prefer that day. Just be prepared to try different methods on each trip. And tell someone to have the fire and skellet ready/:lol:

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Whenever I fish a lake /reservoir I flyline my bait( no weight) and leave the clicker on to alert me of a strike on my baitcaster with the line loose. I use big enough cuts that the bait acts as its own weight. But when fishing in a river or current it is best to tight line and not leave you line loose mainly because it is impossible to leave a line loose in the current and not have line constantly peeling off.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Bluehunter, I seen a guy using fishing with liver without weight.

8. WLG

WLG New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I usually either cast out and tight line or just drop it straight down till it hits bottom and then crank it to where the bait is just off the bottom.