Tight line?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigmike, Jul 23, 2006.

1. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    When fishing do y'all set your line tight or do you keep a little slack in it to let the fish run with it??? Would love to know your preference.

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i prefer a little slack myself when fishing in the daytime...at night i keep it tight

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    tightlines for me when I'm bottom fishing.

4. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I like a tight line why fishing the bottom...:smile2:

5. treasure

treasure New Member

State:
    WA
    I use both not sure why but sometimes slack works and sometimes tight works..

6. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    during the day I run tight lines, at night I run my clicker so I can hear it and it gives me time to get to my rods and even if I try to set the hook all I do is create a mess and don't lose the fish!

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I fish for channels and like mine tight lined. I use circle hooks, they set themselves this way for me.

8. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I always keep my line tight..the leader I use should let them play with it a little

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

if fishing with cut bait are circle hooks I like tight line. If fishing with live bait I like a slack line. if windy slackline and so on . I try to adapt to the situations of the day and what the fish are doing so if I have to change tactics I do.

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I do both. Mostly tight line. Sometimes a little slack but not much. Just depends. Now and then I'll reach out and pullin a few inchs with my hand, mostly to see if it might be in a bind. Sometimes if wind is blowing, I'll leave some slack cause wind will shake my rod tip.
    I couldnt tell ya why I do what I do sometimes. Mainly, just have bait on a hook, good line and time. LOL.

11. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Circle hooks, cut bait, bottom, clickers, tight line. Why? to help prevent/reduce the chances for swallowed hooks. In my experience the fish that most commonly swallow hooks, #1 have time to and #2 are small fish. Larger fish, either channels or flatheads, usually take the bait and swim with enough power to indicate to me that a fish is on very quickly.
    Circle hooks, live bait, bottom, tight line. I will occasionally loosen the line to allow for bait movement. It is important in the waters I fish prevent the bait fish from finding good cover, like under a rock or wrapped around deadfall!
    Circle hook, live bait, floated, slack line. Again a primary concern is to prevent the bait fish from finding a secure hiding place.

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I am strictly a tightline fisherman. I am also a total J-Style hook man also. I also catch most fish that hit my bait, which is alot. Vern

13. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I like to keep my line as tight as possible. some times the wind will blow my line around a little. I tighten it every once'n'a while.

14. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    a lil slack.,,, because when it gets tight you usually got or getting a bite

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    When bottom fishing I try to keep mine tight:lol:

16. haroldlp

haroldlp New Member

State:
    IN
    I use a tight line at least 95% of the time. My wife on the other hand prefers to fish under a float and always has a mile of slack so her setup can drift across my tight line.:lol:

17. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Tight line man! If im fishing for carp i have slack. Other than that its tight all the time.

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    If I am fishing with a float, I will use slack line, but if I am fishing on the bottom I will tight line. Both work well for me.

19. Snappy

Snappy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Tight lines for me.