Tight line or slack

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by barboot1, Jun 18, 2009.

1. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    Hi, My question, is it better to tight line with a bait clicker or leave some slack? Here is my set up and conditions. I bank fish, I use 7ft rods with abu garcia 6500's and 30 lb big cat line. 2-30oz no roll's and a 18in leader. circle or khale hooks depending on my bait. I use cut bait for channels usually or live gills for flat heads. I have been tight lining but have been missing some fish. What could i do better. Thanks
    Brian

2. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    That's some bigazz sinkers, eh...30oz?:crazy: I assume you mean river bank fishing, as your using no-rolls, and as far as in the river, at least my rivers, tight line is the only way. Otherwise I get the current taking my line down from where the lad is, then grass bulds up and pulls it all down and makes quite a mess! I believe your missing bites for a different reason, whether it be non-catfish (turtles) or something else.

3. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I use a tight line and a clicker, especially for river fishing.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    good qwestion, i think you should try both methed brother, ty the clicker on one, and tightline the other,i would say wen you tightline use a circal, 8 ot thats exposed, or a king kael, then on your other polls try freespooling,clicker on, switch them metheds up, tell me how hard the bites are, and i can give more advice,you might be getting smaller fish hitting, also what are you after blues flats channel, this will help pm me if you want bro, im no hands on pro but ive caght some big cats

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I always tight line I only leave slack when bobber fishing.

6. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I say tight line, one reason is because I have heard that catfish like to feel that resistance, I guess it has something to do with the fact that when they go after prey the prey I am sure struggles to get away or resists in some way.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tight line and watch your pole. Every big fish I have ever caught I saw messing with my bait before the clicker ever made a sound. If you are tight lining with a clicker on, that means that you have to have your drag set pretty loose unless you get a great big one that can take the drag. The best thing to do is watch your pole! :wink:

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i tight line when using a circle but i leave a little slack when using a kahle not a whole lot but some.

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I agree with Jack,I watch my line more than anything else.I got my reel in freespoool with the clicker on 99% of the time,but as soon as I see my bait getting nervous,I got that rod in my hands and ready to put in gear on a seconds notice.I,ll see something goin on with my line long before my rod tip moves.:wink:

10. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    When fishing for flathead you want to tight line, reason being that flathead can be finicky biters and the sudden change of no resistance to the feel of the clicker can result in a spooked fish. If the flathead has the same resistance the whole time "besides the bait struggling" it is more comfortable taking it all the way. Channel cat are a different story, I have had my clicker scream more from a decent channel than a large flathead, But channels can be finicky as well, they just don't seem to mind resistance as much as flattie do. And if you have to use any more than a 10oz sinker, you can bet your keester that the flatheads won't be there. Im not saying that they wont be in heavy current but the chances are unlikely.

11. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Maybe its not the current- maybe he's got some big, really big live bait.:wink:

12. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    Well the main reason it looks like I use a 30oz sinker is I'm a bad speller :angry: Thanks for all the advice everyone. I mainly fish for Channel's and flatheads. I use live gills or big chubs for my flatheads or bullheads if I can get em. I use what ever I can fit in a bucket for channels, Chicken liver, garlic shrimp, crawfish, cut bait, worms, leaches when I can get em, Hot dogs. Thanks again .
    BK

13. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    30 oz of weight?? Is that a typo? No wonder you not getting a good hook set. :) I dont know how you would even cast 30 ozs of weight unless you was using a crane.

I would think the above weight would even make it tuff for Hulk Hogan or the Incredible Hulk to get a good hook set. :)

1. I always have to remember to let the fish run longer when using gills or I will start loosing a lot of fish also.
    2. Use as lite of weight as you can to keep your bait situated at the location you are targeting and I bet you will see your hook rate sky-rocket.