Tight Line Or Open Bail

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by joeczar, Aug 20, 2006.

1. joeczar

joeczar New Member

State:
    Parma, Ohio
    I would like to hear your opinions on using circle hooks. When using my spinning rods is it better to tight line or open bail when using circle hooks. I usually just throw whatever bait I am using(chicken livers or cut bait)on a hook with no sinker on and I put the line on a tab of a beer or pop can with a few rocks in it as kinda of a alarm and I leave the bail open. I am going to start using circle hooks and was wondering if I should do the same with them
    Thanks
    Joe

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

With circle hooks tight lines. IMHO

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    you definatly need to close the bail... you could use the same alarm, but the fish needs to load the rod for the hook to work right... and remember, when using circle hooks, don't set the hook.

4. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    i usaly keep that bail open when fishing for carp but since your using circle hooks keeping the bail closed is a must other wise it defeats the purpose!

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    tight line all the way... I dont use circle hooks very often due to the fact i havent been having luck catching any big ones, so i just try to catch what ever bites..lol...... good luck and welcome to the BOC....

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    When fishing with circle hooks, setting the hook or not depends on your fishing set-up.

If you are drifting or trolling where there is a constant pressure against the line there is no need to set the hook.

If you are anchored or bank fishing and you have tight lines and see the rod fold over there is no need to set the hook.

The one exception to circle hooks is when you have a slack line situation or if the fish is swimming toward you. In these cases a hook set is advisable. It does not need to be a violent hook set, but enough to allow the hook to roll out of the fishes mouth the catch the edge and sink in.

One IMPORTANT thing to remember with circle hooks is that the hook tip must be well exposed. You can not allow the hook tip to be buried in the bait.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    You need pressure to work so you need need keep the line tight. If you try to set the hook or stop by fish by closing the bail the circle hook will pop right out of the fishes mouth and nobody wants that.

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    You Need To Close Your Bail And Tight Line When Using Circles.

9. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I do the tight line on all circles. They hook themselves when they load the rod. Took me a long time to stop trying to set the hook! Just let them load the rod and apply pressure!