Tight Line or Float Fishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Feb 24, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use both, but I am wondering what do u pefer, I love seeing that float go under or when that line jump when I am fishing on the bottom.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use both methods myself, something about a float going under makes the kid in me come out and when the clicker starts singing I get pumped.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Each and every trip to different bodies of water(lakes/river/streams/creeks,water conditions,debris-all affect it) require a different presentation.I'll usually use one with a slip-bobber and one on bottom.Whichever one gets the best action is what I'll go to.If their hitting on both...Why change it?
    Best of Luck to you in 2007!!!

4. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I let my son catch my bait, and he uses bobbers. Normally I tightline it, but somedays it seems that the fish arent on the bottom, so Ill use a float or a bobber. Anyone use a float when targeting flatheads?

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    About 85% of the time for the flatties.Throw it out at the depth I want,set the clicker,push the button and kick back and wait.I caught my PB 33.5 flattie under a slip-bobber.(3-4" goldfish)

6. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I'll hang the bobber between two eyes on my rod and use a slip-sinker (Carolina) rig. On the good days, the fish will run and send the bobber flying.

-- Rich

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey C.J.,
    I find myself petty much using both of them, but it something about that Bobber going under - well lets just say that it:
    "Priceless"! LoL:happy:

Take it easy Buddy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

8. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Depends on a lot of stuff. River, lake fishing, early, summer, late in year, type of fish wanted, bank, boat fishing, much more. I enjoy the most slip bobber fishing from the boat. However by far the greatest numbers of fish I have caught in my life time have came from tight lining on the bottom. However this is the way I was taught to fish and have spent most of my time fishing this method. Luck

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I usually tightline CJ I like it better than using a bobber. Ill use a bobber about a foot above the hook to get the bait off the bottom but that is about it. Ive always like fishing off the bottom or near it, just like you like to see the bobber going under I like to watch the top of the rod start to bend towards the water.

10. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i've never used a bobber for cats what method do you all use for this

11. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I fish both tight line and floats. I have found that at times the larger fish are feeding near the surface .At times when they are I will set the float at one ft , even tho the water is 20+ ft deep.There is no one way to catch fish, try all methods and see what the fish want. For Flatheads I will almost always fish under a float.

12. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    the method is simple catmando....you get some 10" slip floats, some beads, and some pre-made knot stops........first secure the knot stop onto your line and pull it tight at the desired depth you want your bait( although you can adjust the depth later if you need to just buy sliding it up or down your line) Next slip a bead onto your line which stops the float at the knot......next put the float on your line......under the float i sometimes put a 1/4 oz barrel swivel incase my bait isn't heavy enough to make the float sit upright in the water( note: if your bait is sitting on the bottom of the lake your float won't sit upright either) then the rest would be swivel, leader , hook......also if fishing with live bait it's a good idea to slip a long straw on your line abover your float, it will keep your line away from your float so that your live bait can't get it all tangled up. Which will happen if you have a lively bait. You can also use a float to learn a body of water by adjusting the depth and casting to see if your bait is resting on bottom or not....

13. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well I usually tight lines in river but the lake I usually loose lines but not like bobber. well I don't have any catch catfish on bobber but my dad have been caught them on bobber while he fishing for panfish and walleyes.

14. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What time of year is best for using bobbers? Will they work as well in rivers as in lakes?

15. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've never had much luck with a float, I usually just stick to the bottom. I have a hard time changing what i've often had sucess with.

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have good sucess with bobbers in the Spring and Summer.

17. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have always been a bottom fisherman, but I have tried floats this last week. I had never used slip floats but I really like it. I throw out 2 poles for bottom fishing and one for a float. I will soon add another cat rod to the collection, will probably use it for floats. There is just something about seeing an 8ft rod double over that get s me pumped. Maybe the feeling will be similar when the float goes under, perhaps I shall find out tonight.

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya I been thinking about a getting me another rig for float fishing.