Tight line fishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bootshowl, Jun 9, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I wondered if anyone else does this when the bite is "light"? Instead of tight line fishing as most do including me, if I start losing bait without a hookset, I'll leave my line slack several inches an watch the line stead of the rod tip. Seems like they are more apt to pick up the bait, feeling no resistance. The only down side seems to be lost hooks, as most times they will swallow, an then they're mine. Still learning.
    :smile2:

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I fish the river most of the time. My line is aways tight.

3. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    mine is also always tight no matter what...i follow my grandpas footsteps, good mentor

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I always tight line when I am bottom fishing.

5. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Sometimes after i cast I reel in tight , then pull about 12" or less of line out. It gives the line just a little slack. I seem to hook up more like this. If I'm fishing live bait for flatties, I leave a little more slack in the line with the clicker on.
    Chip

6. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I like to leave a little slack on the line. It makes it easier to detect bites IMO it leaves an oppurtunity for the fish to pick it up a little easier. You actually see the bite before the baitclicker goes off.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you are not using a three way rig try one. Use heavy weights, I normally use eight ounces, just depends river of lake. In this fashion the fish will not feel the resistance as on the Carolina rig. until he has it in his mouth and starts to swim away! lol to late then.:smile2:

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive fished like that many times in ponds. Have also placed a stick, cellophane or a wad of mud on the line to watch it easier.

9. purebonewv

purebonewv New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i mostly use tight line bottom fishing in the river seems to work for me they always pick up and run i always make sure my rod is secure so they don't take it. good question thou

10. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yep same here if you try to put some slack the river is gonna tighten it out for you, and if the weight is set you will just be puting a big arch in your line where it looks tight but the current pushes the line foward which isnt good

11. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    A good rod with a soft tip helps with a tight line,soft bite. I found a good deal on Ugly Stick cat rods ($20.00) and because the price was right I picked up a couple of the Striper rods of the same series. The Striper rods have a much softer tip Than the Cat rods and I put my Abu 5000's on them because they had no clicker and found my hook-ups were pretty good. Experiment with rod stiffness untill you find the right combo for you.

12. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Mostly have a tight line w/ baitclicker on until something hits it, then I closely watch the slack for eat and run.

13. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well I mostly run a tight line and watch for the pickup...However I am learning a hole new fishing in a small lake around here...These fish seem very timid in the 2-4 pound range and below that you get the little peckers as I like to call them below 2lbs...which peck at your bait on the hook...I use live shad mostly but the little channels will peck at the shad unless you can catch 6-8" ones which is pretty rare to this lake...

I have tried the loose line trick on the timid soft hitters and the peckers and have had some success......

Usually if this is all the types of bites I am getting I will try to switch baits to a live Bluegill which gets rid of the little peckers under 2 lbs but you still get soft hitters from time to time....but usually you can get your bigger boys to strike hard and get your clicker sounding off pretty good using a tight line....So I try to follow my fathers footsteps most of the time and run a tight line.......

Nice conversation look forward to reading more and seeing where this goes...

Paul