Tiger Rod Lite?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by catfishcentral, Dec 30, 2005.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I love my Tiger Rods best heavy duty cat rods for the money IMO. There are a little overkill for channels and smaller blues many times but I saw these in the new Ba$$ Pro Catalog yesterday. They are apparently new and probably worth checking out in person. Hopefully they carry some in their stores instead of mail order to check out in person.

Attached Files:

2. Ohio Trophy Hunter

Ohio Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Just saw those as well,i noticed they only carry up to 7 foot lengths,but there is a heavy action model.
    here's a link to shakespeare's page about them.
    http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/products/rods/ugly-tiger.shtml
    we don't have a bass pro here in ohio but i believe there is an authorized dealer here in columbus,i'll try to check 'em out!
    Eric B

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    They actually have the tiger lite at catfish connection now for 2006 if you would be interested. They put a lot of new stuff on there, including Penn reels. I think all the good things going around here about the Penn reels and tiger rods have gotten over to them :D

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'll have to look one over real well before I buy one.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I see where they aluminum oxide inserts in the guides which is great..I have a regular tiger rod, it has stainless steel guides and the tip guide has worn and cuts my line..

6. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Got my hands on a couple today, both were casting models M and M/H. I love the reg. Tiger and feel that these are of the same quality. I would say the Lite models react about the same as the reg. models.........M/H is pretty dang stiff, butt to tip. The M had more limber tip but plenty for backbone. These ain't no dipbait rods, but would be perfect for big chunks of fresh cutbait!! Without a doubt I will own a couple of the M casting models in the future, I truley doubt there is a Channel Cat in KS that won't yeild to this rod and a ProAngler50 reel(same size as a 6500). I also wouldn't feel undergunned against open water Blues or Flatties not in heavy cover. Comparing a Tiger Lite to an Ugly Cat(like they sell at Wally World) isn't even fair, there not even in the same class!!

7. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I concur 100% and of as last week they still have not made an arrival at the BA BPS.

If and when they show up I will pass on the word.

8. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

Thanks for the report there Charlie. Dangit I bet you saw them up at Cabela's in KC and I was just up there a couple weeks ago. In fact we were staying at that Great Wolf Lodge right next door for my son's birthday and I didn't stop over into Cabela's because I figured I'd seen everything last time. Oh well maybe our local BPS will get them. I think Cabela's ends up having a better selection in their retail stores compared to BSP. There pretty much the same in catalogs but I can't wait till they build the one here in Owasso.

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Yep, my local Cabela's:) Should have hollered when you were in town, I only live 30 minutes from there.

Here's the tricky part, they didn't have the Lites with the reg. tiger rods!!! Their so sneaky those rascals..................they were with the regular Ugly sticks. Didn't mention it, but they weigh a whole lot less than a regular Tiger..........the more I think about them, the more I want a couple:)

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think that the regular Tiger(yellow) is a great rod for heavy fishing(all the Time) and the tiger lite would be for those that fish lite (not often) LMAO!!!

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I guess Lite is a relative term. I took a 50+ blue cat off the Kaw river last summer that I have no doubt I could have landed with the Tiger Lite. Poor fish was at the boat in less than 2 minutes using my Reg. Tiger and a Penn 320LD.............probably would have taken 4 minutes with the Lite rod,LMAO!!

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I didn't like how the eyelets were made. They are more Ugly Cat style, with the lighter wire, and 3 attachment legs instead of 4. My channel cat rods are the Ugly Stik Bigwater BWC 1120, the 6' version. They have the Tiger style eyelets, with inserts added, but dont have nearly the backbone of a Tiger. I caught a 42lb river blue on one last year without a problem, although I would recommend a heavier rod for fish like that.

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/products/rods/ugly-big.shtml

Charlie, From your description they have rearranged the rods since I was there on Monday. I found the Tiger, Tiger Lites, and regular Ugly Stiks all on one big happy row, just 2-3 rows up from the bait tanks. Another thing I saw on Monday that was new for that store was that they were stocking the regular Tiger Rods in MH, they had 3 of them on the rack.

13. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Chris,

We were on the same sheet of music here, but I got tired of waiting and asked the staff at the BPS in BA if they anticipated receiving any Tiger Lite rods. The salesman then told me I can have anything in their catalog or Website delivered to the store on a look at and send back or buy basis, with no obligation to buy or for any shipping charges.

Today after about 10 days, they called me and my rod was in. I looked it over and brought it home.

Initial comparisons to a regular Tiger Rod are it has one less guide, and the reel seat is a bit lower on the Lite. And as one can assume by the pics, the grip diameter is much smaller, which is the chief reason I was interested.

I just mounted a new from the box Abu Record RCN60HC that I just strung with PowerPro 50#. I'll start a new thread on that rig after it gets some action.

14. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Jim,

So are you happy with your new rod and it's preformance snagging spoonbill? I'm sure if it can take a 60 pound spoonbill in the tail it has plenty of backbone. Also I was wondering which action you ended up getting. Personally I like the medium action tiger rods over the med hev in the regular tiger rods. I didn't know which model and action you purchased and how soft or stiff the action was in your new rod. Thanks for the report.

15. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

The rod I was wanting, was something I could use for flatties with a large live bait and also something stiff enough to yank a 5 ounce weight all day snagging.

So, I went with the BWCL 2200*, 7'0", Heavy acton, 14-40 # line, 1-5 oz. weight.

The rod performed flawless on landing the 58# Spoonie, and was doubled over and under the boat on more than one occassion. We got the fish up to the boat about 5 times, and as soon as she saw us she would take off, usually under the boat.

Now that I am so pleased with the rod, I'm going to try one of their 6'9" models in the medium action.

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I am interested in the tiger lites as well. I like the cork handle grips they have. If the rod itself is as sturdy as the the original tiger like stated earlier than its in my plans. as long as the rod is not flemsy towards the tip. Otherwise I may order it.

17. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Mine is the 7' H casting, and I flexed the tip of if next to my regular tiger in a M action and the H action lite rod is much stiffer, as you would assume it should be.

18. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I will have to check them out I have two older tiger rods